McAfee Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.70400°N / 117.909°W
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the starting point, you will see a cliff band above you and slightly to the left. You will also be able to see a prominent gap through the cliff band. Climb up through this gap. This is the steepest part of the whole climb. Continue through the gap, where you will reach the top of a bench. Continue up further, and you will reach the top of another bench at about 8,400'. The trees begin here, but the terrain moderates. From here on up, it’s a mostly steady, gradual climb through the trees. You should be able to get your first glimpse of Piper Peak from here.

Start heading north. You will have to descend slightly for a short distance in one spot, and there is at least one small cliff band that you will have to cross, but it’s easy. Continue up towards Piper Peak. You will soon notice two highpoints: One pretty much directly in front of you with a small radio tower on it, and one to the right. Piper Peak is the one to the right. The highpoint to the left is 6' lower. The sagebrush is thick in places as you near the top. You should probably try to avoid it if possible. Push on to the summit, where you can enjoy the views. The last 50' is a rock scramble up some boulders.


Elevation Gain: 2,300'.
Hiking Distance: About six miles round trip.







Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.