Medicine Bow Peak August 9 2008

Medicine Bow Peak August 9 2008

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report

Medicine Peak August 9 2008

I have been informed that I’m probably working every weekend for the next couple months, but Kim and I had to break away to celebrate our 15th anniversary. We chose to climb Medicine Bow Peak in Wyoming since we went to Wyoming on our honeymoon and since I hadn’t climbed or attempted a peak in Wyoming since December 2001 even though we live only 40 miles from the border!

We drove to a lodge at Saratoga Hot Springs Friday evening in very heavy rain and were worried about the next day. Because of the weather we scrapped our plans of sleeping in and headed for the mountain early in the morning.

We had planned to do the entire loop hike starting at Lake Marie and ending at Mirror Lake while climbing over the top of Medicine Bow Peak, but we were worried about the weather, so we started the climb at Lewis Lake.

Medicine Bow Peak was a beautiful mountain and we climbed it in great weather. People on the summit informed us that they had snow and sleet on their hike the night before. We had a snowball fight on the way back. The weather held for us all the way until we descended and just started driving back. Not long after that a severe thunderstorm hit the area and we high tailed it to Saratoga Hot Springs since the sky began to clear. Right after we changed went to soak in the hot springs though, a very severe thunderstorm hit so we got to spend less than a minute in the pools before having to get out. We drove home in heavy rain, but it was snowing on Battle Pass.

It was a great way to spend our 15th wedding anniversary.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Aug 10, 2008 10:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice.....

place and, as you said, a nice way to spend your 15th anniversary!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Medicine Bow PeakTrip Reports