Monica Saddle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.88100°N / 107.486°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: A Road Walk
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the turnoff on US 60, Mount Withington is 17 miles distant. Start driving south across the Plains of San Agustin on Forest Road 549, which is a good dirt road. You will have to cross a set of VLA railroad tracks enroute. After about ten miles, you will reach the intersection with Forest Road 4. Stay on the main road as it reaches Monica Saddle after 13 miles. Forest Road 549 ends here, and Forest Roads 28 and 138 begin. Mount Withington is four miles away. If you want to walk to the top, this is a good starting point. Otherwise, keep on driving.

Turn left, and start heading up Forest Road 138. Just below the summit, Forest Road 138B branches off the main road and heads for the lookout. Climb up Forest Road 138B, or you can take a shortcut and head straight for the top. The road ends at a turnaround with a picnic table. The lookout at the true summit is about 200’ away.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.