Mont Blanc - Chamonix

Mont Blanc - Chamonix

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.83259°N / 6.86523°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 14, 2016
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

A wee walk up Mont Blanc...

Warm greetings Summit Posters on a cold and rainy day from Bristol in the UK!

Here's a short video from a recent trip to Chamonix in the French Alps and an ascent of the Goûter Route on the mighty Mont Blanc 4808m, the highest point in Western Europe, staying overnight at the lovely Refuge du Tête Rousse.

Mont Blanc was first climbed on August 8th 1786 by Jacques Balmat and Michel Paccard and whilst the Goûter Route is not that technically difficult, it really should not be underestimated as it is long and arduous undertaking at high altitude requiring good acclimatisation and the usual alpine skills. There are also some delicate passages including the infamous Grand Couloir and the superbly exposed Bosses Ridge leading right up to the summit plateau!

Anyway the entertainment was filmed so for anyone who may be interested in a future ascent, or a trip down memory lane, or just a vicarious journey up to the summit of Monte Bianco from the comfort of their chair! Featuring all the main landmarks encountered on the route, time lapses, lovely mountain ibex, a beautiful dawn breaking on the Dôme du Goûter plus the gob-smacking shadow of the White Mountain here is the story of a wee walk up Mont Blanc...


All constructive feedback welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully a journey up to the "Roof of Europe" will brighten up your day over a lunch or tea break with a brew and biscuit!

Happy Climbing! 

Dave



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
markhallam

markhallam - Nov 6, 2016 12:16 pm - Voted 10/10

A beautiful movie!

Really beautiful movie of my favourite mountain and favourite ridge. Last time I went up there was 3 years ago so not far off being due to go up again!
I enjoy your movies - and now that I am an aspiring (vimeo) movie maker myself, I can see that your work is very impressive and at a standard I have yet to reach. Lovely time lapse sequences this time - which really illustrate Lady Bianco in all her moods. I must experiment myself - GoPro can do it, but I need to down load the appropriate software I think to do something meaningful with the results.
Best wishes - and keep 'em coming!
Best wishes, Mark

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle - Nov 7, 2016 8:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A beautiful movie!

Hey Mark thanks a million for taking the time to post your kind words and my buddy and I were blessed to have 2 great days of weather on her ladyship! Good luck with the film making and I look forward to having a look if you post something on SP one day. Anyway I have a couple more climbing vids in pre-production so watch this space... :-)
Happy filming!
Dave

markhallam

markhallam - Nov 10, 2016 12:49 am - Voted 10/10

Re: A beautiful movie!

Yes, I will watch this space...
I already have posted a few of my efforts on SP - generally pinned to the end of TR's and other pages I have created. Most are mere slide shows set to music - using the best of the DSLR stills that I have from various trips. However I did proper movies for Scotland (Cairngorms) last December and the Andes (Cordon del Plata) in February. If you were interested the link to my Vimeo Home Page is embedded at top of my SP Home Page (or https://vimeo.com/user38830949 )
The Andes movie especially I realise now is too long, but we had such a great time I got carried away!
Anyway my best and/or most memorable movies are all featured on my vimeo home page so by all means have a browse and see if any are of interest. Not expecting you would have time or patience to sit through an hour of Cordon del Plata but you may be interested to fast forward through to the highlights!
Finally... you always ask for constructive feedback on your efforts - and I have nothing to give beyond they are good learning for me. But if you have any constructive feedback then I am all ears!
best wishes Mark

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle - Nov 11, 2016 10:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A beautiful movie!

Hi Mark
I have had a quick look over a tea break at your Andes and Cairngorm vids and it looks like you had amazing weather, especially the Cairngorms in the Winter, and you had a blast! You have some lovely images and footage in there but if I had to offer a bit of constructive advice over an hour for the Andes and half an hour for Scotland is way too long for the casual viewer but I think you already knew that! I know only too well it is very hard to leave some footage out but I think 5 up to 10 minutes maximum (some would say a lot less!) is about right unless you are making a video just for yourself and a few mates to enjoy. Also to try and eliminate camera shake I nearly always have a small portable tripod on me, and if possible one of my heavier Slik tripods but not practical on a climb, although it is a bit of a faff I grant you. I spend a lot of time running back and forth around my climbing buddies on walk-in's for example. I also bribe my missus to shoot long shots on climbs for me whilst she sits on a blanket with a good book... :-)
Anyway once you get a nice steady bit of footage, I then do most of my zooming in + out and panning in the editing stage using the crop function and key stages. On the very rare occasion I do not have a tripod on me (like on Mont Blanc'cos I forgot!) then you can always use a big rock to steady the camera on for example. Anyway keep up the good work and happy climbing! :-)
Cheers
Dave

markhallam

markhallam - Nov 12, 2016 12:48 am - Voted 10/10

Re: A beautiful movie!

Thanks a lot Dave
You know, I do often carry a little 'gorillapod', but hardly ever use it - will take note of your advice!
The Andes trip was so wonderful I don't regret the hour of movie (a surprising number did actually view the entire thing in several different countries) - but I think I will go ahead and finish a 10 minute version I have part created - and then have a 'short' and 'long' version on my vimeo page.
Interested in your editing tips. I use window movie maker for editing (I probably couldn't cope with anything more sophisticated - which I expect you would use) Anyway I must have a poke around and see if I can make it do the things you suggest...
The next (I hope - I'll be 57!) Andes trip is planned for 2018 - so plenty more time to practice. In the interim it'll be Scotland - fancy Glen Affric area, for the mountains winter & summer, but also want to swim the lakes. How about you?
bw
Mark

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle - Nov 14, 2016 9:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A beautiful movie!

Lots of things in my list of "things to do" for next year including the final Northern section of the Pennine Way with my better half, nibbling away at my missing Munros (60 left to do!) and plenty of climbing/filming trips including Am Buchaille, Hoy, various other sea stacks + sea arches + the usual Alps trip so hopefully a fair chunk of this will be accomplished in 2017! :-)
Cheers
Dave

Viewing: 1-6 of 6