Monte Pizzocolo South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.67270°N / 10.59160°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: EE
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Monte Pizzocolo South Ridge

 

The imposing Monte Pizzocolo 1581 m belongs to the mountain area named Prealpi Bresciane and Gardesane, Subgroup Pizzocolo, the Southernmost one among the Garda ranges. It's situated in a beautiful location overhelming the South-Western shore of Lago di Garda, while to the West it's facing the Adamello and Presanella groups. For this reason, besides to its prominence exceeding 600 meters, the summit of Pizzocolo offers a panorama of incredible magnitude! A true open balcony! Pizzocolo is rocky and steep on its South East side (Lago di Garda side), on the contrary covered by woods, on its West side. Rocky, isolated and showing an unmistakable profile, Pizzocolo is a highly sought peak by the good hikers.

Pizzocolo seen from Toscolano Maderno
Pizzocolo seen from Toscolano Maderno

The route described below is a beautiful round trail which provides an interesting and panoramic ascent scrambling up the South ridge along the path n. 27, route that climbs steeply up a rocky and wooden ridge. There are a few very easy rocky moves, a couple of which equipped with an iron cable. A bit before the summit there is an anemometer, on the summit we find a cross and just below the culminating point, on the West side, we also can find a nice church and the bivouac "Due Aceri" (meaning "Two Maples"), erected on the ruins of a WWI manufact.

Monte Pizzocolo seen from Maderno
Monte Pizzocolo seen from Maderno

 

Pano from Monte Spino
Pano from Monte Spino

Getting There

The reference resort is the little town of Toscolano-Maderno, located on the South-Western shore of Garda Lake. Toscolano is easily accessible both from Brescia and Verona. Once you reach Toscolano, just after the bridge over the Toscolano stream, leave the main road called Gardesana Occidentale and turn to left (signposts Maclino and Sanico) taking the road rising to Sanico. Beyond Maclino and Sanico, continue on a steep winding road (signposts S. Urbano), getting the place named Ortello di Sotto m. 705 (2.5 km from Sanico, 6.8 km from Toscolano), where there are some small parking lots near the junction with the path n 27 starting to the right of the road.

Monte Pizzocolo seen from Monte Castello di Gaino
Monte Pizzocolo seen from Monte Castello di Gaino

Route Description

 

Monte Pizzocolo, beta of S ridge

Monte Pizzocolo South Ridge from Ortello di Sotto

Summit quote: 1581 m
Difficulty: EE
Difference in level: 880 m from Ortello di Sotto
Exposition: South Time required: 4,30 hours round trip

Moderately difficult scramble that leads to the summit of Monte Pizzocolo, where it opens a breathtaking 360° view over Southern Garda lake, major mountain ranges of Lombardia and Trentino, as Brenta Dolomites, Adamello, Presanella, Monte Baldo, Monte Altissimo di Nago.

Route description

Park the car an take the dirt road on the right (CAI 279). At the first junction at 742 m, where to the right it forks another dirt road, we continue straight on CAI n. 27. At the second junction at 777 m, keep the right hand always along CAI n. 27. We pass two buildings and after about 1.5 km from the start the road ends and we continue on a narrow path. Soon we reach a small bridge over Prera Valley, we cross the bridge and we can see to our left a white rocky slab equipped for rock climbing. We skirt the slab and continue on the narrow path, crossing the slope mainly on level. At one point we find a junction signposted (signs Cresta Sud), from where we enjoy a nice view over the rocky Monte Castello di Gaino and its south ridge. Here we leave the main trail that continues to traverse the slope and turn to left onto the path starting to climb steeply within the sparse wood. Climb the ridge alternating stretches in the wood to easy rocky passages. The route, always pretty steep, it's well worn and indicated by trail markers and cairns. After a long stretch a bit closed within the sparse forest, the route exits on a grassy shoulder from where it appears the summit ridge of the mountain. From this point forward you can enjoy a superb view of the lake. Immediately after the terrain becomes rocky again and we continue the steep climb, passing near a characteristic anemometer with mirrors. We are very close to the summit, in fact, after a few minutes, we get the summit flag and cross.

Pizzocolo annotated summit view
Westward summit view

Just below the summit there is a nice and small church dedicated to the fallen of all wars and mountains and a bit further down the bivouac "Due Aceri" (meaning "Two Maples"), originally an artifact of the Great War 1915-18. On the summit of Pizzocolo there were the back of the Italian lines during WWI.

Pizzocolo, last steps before the summit
Pizzocolo, last steps before the summit

 

Descent - From the top reach the curch and down to the bivouac "Due Aceri", where it starts the trail n. 5 (in the direction of Rifugio Pirlo allo Spino), which falls westward just below the flat crest of the West Pizzocolo, getting soon a junction near a tiny pound, named the "Sguàs dele Pìle". Take the left path n. 11, Via di Valle, which drops steeply inside the woods and leads to Malga Valle. The trail continues steeply downstream of the pasture and joins a forest road. Turn to left and take this road, always steep, descending for a long time inside the woods as far as the junction with the road S. Urbano - Sanico, route n. 6. We sharply turn to left on this road and follow it for about 10 min. to get the parking lot.

Start of South ridge approach, Pizzocolo

Start of South ridge approach

Pizzocolo S ridge, the bridge along the approach path

The bridge along the approach

Pizzocolo S ridge junction

S ridge start junction

Fixed rope on Pizzocolo S Ridge

Short fixed rope

Pizzocolo upper S ridge route

Upper slopes

Slab on Pizzocolo S ridge

Slab up along S ridge

Pizzocolo anemometer, just before the top

Pizzocolo anemometer before the top

Pizzocolo summit flag

Summit flag

Small chapel on the summit of Pizzocolo

Small chapel below the summit

 

Pizzocolo summit cross

Summit cross

Bivacco

Bivacco "Due Aceri"

Junction near the small pound

Junction near "Sguàs dele Pìle"

Malga Valle along Pizzocolo descent route

Malga Valle along the descent

Helleborus or

"Christmas Rose" along the descent

Pizzocolo descent track (West side)

Descent track on West side

Essential Gear

The route requires the right middle mountain equipment, especially hiking boots and warm clothes. In winter condition axe and crampons are needed.

Red Tape

No fees no permits required. The peak is located inside "Parco Alto Garda Bresciano".

When to climb

All year round

Accomodation

Several possibilities of accomodation in Toscolano Maderno and surroundings

Bibliography

"Prealpi Bresciane" - Fausto Camerini, Collana Guide dei Monti d'Italia C.A.I.-T.C.I.

Meteo forecast

Meteo Arpa Lombardia
Meteo Alto Garda e Ledro



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.