Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.59161°N / 111.95267°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11047 ft / 3367 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monument Peak is a rarely-visited 11,000-foot peak on the eastern side of the Sevier Plateau in Central Utah. Heavily wooded with scattered meadows, the area is prime habitat for some of the largest elk in the country. A high, forested ridge connects the peak to Glenwood Mountain and Signal Peak to the northwest. To the west is a bowl of beautiful meadows and small lakes that are unfortunately on private properties. 

Getting There

From Center Street and Main Street in Koosharem, drive westalong West Center Street. It curves right and turns into North 300 West Street.This becomes Forest Road 076 (Koosharem Canyon Road). Drive for 4.6 miles. Stayon the main dirt road, which turns into Forest Road 068 (Monroe Mountain Road).Take this about 7.8 miles to the north side of the peak. Directly north of thepeak along the road is a beautiful sloping meadow called Doe’s Flat. Park herealongside the road. For the longer version of the hike, you can continue on theroad for another 0.75 miles to Magleby Pass.

Route

Hike straight uphill in the meadow. Once in the trees,within 100 yards, the faint ridge trail from Magleby Pass is discernible. Veer southeast(left) and follow the trail that fades in and out to the summit clearing.

Round-trip Distance: 1.7 miles

Elevation Gain: 513 feet

Path of Least Resistance
Path of Least Resistance

Red Tape

The peak is located in Fish Lake National Forest. However, there are a lot of small parcels of private property in the area. The routes by Magleby Pass and through Doe's Flat are on public land.

When to Climb

Year-round though winter will likely require snow machine, snowshoes, and/or skis.

Camping

There are dozens of primitive campsites throughout the Sevier Plateau. There are campsites at Big Lake north of the peak as well as along Koosharem Creek.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sevier PlateauMountains & Rocks