Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.92278°N / 119.89767°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 7, 2023
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Overview

California/Nevada’s Heavenly Ski Resort sits on the northern slopes of the 10067 ft Monument Peak. Having skied there countless times, my cousin Kris was eager to hike it in summer. We decided to start our hike from Nevada’s Stagecoach side at an elevation of 7490 ft instead of the California side at 6640 ft. We followed a service road to an elevation of 9850 ft and then did some bushwhacking to reach the summit.

 

Trip Report

 

Hike Length: 10.84 miles

Total Ascent: 2577 ft

 

 

 

September 7, 2023

Kris and I drove to the big parking area at the bottom of the ski lifts on the Nevada side of the Mountain, elevation 7490 ft. We started our hike at 6:30 AM. Having looked at satellite photos earlier, my plan was to go up the slopes below the chair lift to reach the access road, but the area was roped off with a sign that said, “Not a Trail”. There was an official trailhead 150 feet away but that was an access trail to Lake Tahoe Rim Trail and did not go to Monument Peak.

 

We got on the trail which took us up the forest going away from the direction that we wanted to go but then it made a turn and reached the Tahoe Rim Trail. We turned right and soon reached the access road which we followed after that. I had expected to run into a lot of people, but we did not see any other hikers all day. Twice we ran into ski resort trucks on the road.

 

Ski slopes and beautiful trees.

 

Slopes of Monument Peak
Slopes of Monument Peak
Slopes of Monument Peak
Slopes of Monument Peak
Slopes of Monument Peak
Slopes of Monument Peak

 

 

Looking northeast at the Nevada plains far below.

 

Looking northeast at Nevada plains
Looking northeast at Nevada plains

 

Looking northeast at Nevada plains
Looking northeast at Nevada plains

 

First view of the summit of Monument Peak.

 

Summit of Monument Peak
Summit of Monument Peak

 

At 7:50 AM, 8620 ft and 2.73 miles, we reached East Peak Lake. A mid ski mountain lodge known as East Peak Lodge was visible across the lake.

 

East Peak Lake and Lodge
East Peak Lake and Lodge

 

Summit of Monument Mountain and East Peak Lake

 

Monument Peak from East Peak Lake
Monument Peak from East Peak Lake

 

Continuing up the road, summit of Monument Peak again.

 

Summit of Monument Peak
Summit of Monument Peak

 

Pretty trees.

 

Slopes of Monument Peak
Slopes of Monument Peak

 

From 9000 to 9530 ft elevation, the road went directly up the slope. It does not look steep in this picture, but it was strenuous. Kris said in winter, skiing down that slope did not at all feel steep.

 

Steep service road
Steep service road

 

Nevada plains to the north.

 

Looking north into Nevada
Looking north into Nevada

 

Summit.

 

Summit of Monument Peak
Summit of Monument Peak

 

At around 9800 ft, we reached the base of the summit. The plan was to leave the road and head east to reach the summit, but the slopes were made of jumbles of boulders with a seemingly impenetrable growth of shrubs/small trees. That was quite disappointing. Decided to continue the road to find a better spot to attempt the summit. Like Tahoe finally came to view. When I later looked at the map, I saw that this sign was actually 2000 aerial feet away from the California-Nevada border.

 

Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe

 

Followed the road to the southwest of the summit where an opening appeared in the shrubs. Left the road and went up a slope to reach a strange landscape, a sandy plain surrounded by boulders and dwarfed pine trees. Where did all that sand come from? Were we on the beach? Two hills made of jumbles of rocks covered with dwarfed trees were in front of us. I assumed that the right one was the taller one and the true summit.

 

Sandy ground and the two summits of Monument Peak
Sandy ground and the two summits of Monument Peak

 

Going up the rocks, I reached the top of the right hill at 9:49 AM and 5.71 miles. The other hill blocked most of the view of Lake Tahoe. Later when I looked at the map, I noted that the other hill had been the true summit. I don’t know why I did not go the extra minimal distance to the top of the other hill, at least for views.

 

Looking east toward Gardnerville, Nevada.

 

Gardnerville, Nevada, 5300 ft below
Gardnerville, Nevada, 5300 ft below

 

Looking south at Jobs Peak, Jobs Sister and Freel Peak.

 

Jobs Peak, Jobs Sister and Freel Peak
Jobs Peak, Jobs Sister and Freel Peak

 

Looking west at South Lake Tahoe. Mt. Tallac to Ralston Peak seen.

 

South Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac to Pyramid Peak seen
South Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac to Pyramid Peak seen

 

Looking north at the other hill (true summit). Rose Mountain to the distance.

 

The other summit and the distant Rose Mountain
The other summit and the distant Rose Mountain

 

Looking southwest.

 

Looking southwest, Freel Peak seen
Looking southwest, Freel Peak seen

 

Zoomed view of South Lake Tahoe.

 

South Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe

 

Zoomed view, Mt Tallac/Dicks Peak, Jacks Peak, Mt. Price, Mt. Agassiz and Pyramid Peak.

 

Mt. Tallac to Pyramid Peak seen
Mt. Tallac to Pyramid Peak seen

 

Went down to Kris at the bottom of the hill. We sat there to eat and rest. Then we began to go back the way we had come. Very strange and beautiful environment.

Sandy area below the summit
Sandy area below the summit

 

Sandy area below the summit
Sandy area below the summit

 

Lake Tahoe.

 

Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe

 

Back to the road. Last views of Lake Tahoe.

 

Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe

 

Nevada Plains to the northeast.

 

Nevada plains to the northeast
Nevada plains to the northeast

 

Summit from East Peak Lake again.

 

Monument Peak from East Peak Lake
Monument Peak from East Peak Lake

 

Instead of getting back to the trail, we decided to continue down the service road. It took us to the end of a street in a gated community. Had to do a short hike down the streets to reach our car at 12:36 PM.

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monument PeakTrip Reports