Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.08676°N / 73.47073°W
Additional Information County: Berkshire
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2239 ft / 682 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Buried in the southwest corner of Massachussetts, hidden in the Berkshires, lies Alander Mountain. It is a small mountain with massive views, rewarding those who climb to its open summit with views into New York, Connecticut and across Massachussetts.
Ridge Trail


Alander Mountain lies within the borders of Mount Washington State Forest, a 4000+ acre second generation New England hardwood forest with multiple peaks and exuberant falls.

Part of the Taconic Plateau, the area provides access to multiple peaks Mt Frissel(south) and Everett (east), and Bash Bish Falls.

Because Alander Mountain is upstaged by other natural attractions in the region you can expect to come across few, if any, additional hikers. With multiple routes to the summitt including a long day-hike loop, easy bridle trails and ample FREE camping Alander Mountain should be considered a "must see" for anyone tired of the crowds on Greylock or Monadnock.

Getting There

From the Mass.gov website:

From East or West/Mass Pike (I-90): Take Exit 2 in Lee. Follow MA Rte. 102 west for 4.7 miles to Stockbridge. Turn left and follow U.S. Rte. 7 south for 7.7 miles through Great Barrington. Turn right and follow MA Rte. 23 west for 4.9 miles to South Egremont. Turn left onto MA Rte. 41 south, then take immediate right, Mount Washington Road; continue for 8.8 miles (becomes East St.) to park entrance and headquarters.

From West, North and South/NY Rte. 22: From NY Rte. 22 in Copake Falls, NY take NY Rte. 344 east into Massachusetts (becomes Falls Rd.) for 2 miles. Parking and trailhead are on right.

Red Tape

Motorized off-road vehicles, snowmobiles and alcoholic beverages are prohibited.

Pets are allowed but must be on a 10-foot maximum leash and attended at all times. Must have proof of current Rabies vaccine.


Camping

There are multiple camping sites off trail, including a small cabin with a stove and bed. They are first come-first serve so you have to get them early. Most hikes to the summit can be done in a day so a site shouldn't be considered necessary.

There is ample water from lower campsites, but none immediately available from the cabin. The area is black bear country so take proper precautions to store food. Also, the region is home to timber rattlesnakes, which are seen on the summits, trails and in campsites frequently.

Mountain Conditions

Weather for Great Barrington, MA





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Taconic MountainsMountains & Rocks
 
Southern Taconic RangeMountains & Rocks