Mount Belknap / Tushar Mountains

Mount Belknap / Tushar Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Mount Belknap

"The great mountain wall leaps at once from the narrow platform of the valley to nearly its greatest altitude. Immense ravines, rivaling those of the Wasatch in depth, but narrower and with steeper sides, have deeply cleft the great tabular mass, and subdivided it into huge pediments, which from below appear like individual mountains. In the torrid heat of July, we see the fields of lingering snow light up their gloomy crests. As we ascend the valley to the southward the scenery is impressive, for every object is molded upon a grand scale; though it is only by long study and familiarity that the huge proportions are realized. The northern portion of this uplift is crowned by volcanic peaks [and] deeply scored with grand ravines, well calculated to kindle the enthusiasm of the mountaineer and task his energy"
- Clarence E. Dutton, Report on the Geology of the High Plateaus of Utah, 1880.
http://www.utahforests.org/tusharmtns.html

I have found the Tushar Mountains to be a very unique mountain range in Utah. From the green roundness of Delano to the barren, pyramid shape of Mount Belknap and Mount Baldy, the peaks of the Tushar’s each offer a different look and shape.

Mount Belknap has called my name ever since I hiked to the top of Delano peak and looked west and viewed its uniqueness. Over the Pioneer holiday and took a time limited opportunity to hike to the top of Belknap. From every view of Belknap it seems to be very steep with loose rock all around. From the hiked I found it to be less intimidating. Here are some pictures of the hike to the top of Mount Belknap and pictures of the surrounding peaks of the Tushar’s.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
imontop

imontop - Feb 12, 2010 11:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Great album dude!

Those are some great shots of the Tushars!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.