Mount Colin Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 53.00322°N / 117.9887°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the Colin Hut work your way across and up to the Mt. Hawk - Colin Col. Follow ridge throughout, even when it gets very narrow (Cheval). Keep going a long ways, pitch out/short rope according to your comfort levels.

Do not wander onto ledge systems that traverse the face until you reach the one seen in the photo. Many people make this mistake as you will read in the hut log book. There's a 2 pin belay here and an obviously way too hard blank wall above. Traverse out into the Chimney feature and another anchor (2 pin belay). Stay in chimney past a couple of pins then traverse left onto slab past 2 or 3 more pins and top out (no anchor, build your own). Continue to the summit.

Descend: continue traverse from summit down the other ridge. 50m rappel off a boulder will lead you onto slabby terrain, look for two pins on ridge. You can do a second rappel here or continue down the ridge and downclimb a tricky section. Continue down to col between Colin and CR6. Scramble down shale into the sub alpine.

Enjoy, its a Jasper Classic!

Gear needed

Alpine rock rack, runners, long slings for boulders, 6 pins, should be able to get away with a 50m rope, but we used a 60m. Rock shoes handy for slabby sections.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.