Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.12820°N / 118.3011°W
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Additional Information Elevation: 1626 ft / 496 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

By far the most popular hiking trail in all of Griffith Park. The climb is very rewarding with an incredible view of Los Angeles, the Pacific Ocean and the San Fernando Valley. The trail starts in Fern Dell at the entrance to Griffith park. The more popular and much shorter trail begins at the north end of the Griffith Observatory parking lot at the Charlie Turner trailhead. While you're there, you might as well check out the observatory. "The Griffith Observatory has been a major Los Angeles landmark since 1935. It was visited by nearly two million people each year and ranked as one of the top tourist attractions of Southern California. It sits on the southern slope of Mount Hollywood where it commands a stunning view of the Los Angeles basin below." Special Thanks to http://www.griffithobs.org While in Griffith Park you can also do a number of activities including: Golf, Horseback Riding, Jogging, Tennis, Swimming and Soccer.

Getting There

To reach the trailhead take the Hollywood Freeway/101 and exit in Hollywood at Sunset Blvd. Take Sunset east to Western Avenue turning north (left) and follow Western where it turns right becoming Loz Feliz Blvd. Turn left at the first traffic light Ferndell Drive into Griffith Park and head north parking near the Ferndell Nature Museum. Or, you can park up at the famous Griffith Observatory and use the Charlie Turner Trailhead instead (which is at the mouth of the parking lot). This shortens the climb significantly.

Red Tape

No permits or special passes requiered. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING OR FIRE LIGHTING ON THE TRAIL. The area is a high risk spot for fires. Last time I checked, there was no fee for parking. No camping allowed. Their is a warning for rattlesnakes at the trailhead, but it is VERY unlikely you will actually encounter one, due to the fact that the trail is so busy.

When To Climb

Any time of year, but you might want to arrive in the morning before the crowds. Currently, the Griffith Observatory is under construction and parking space is limited. There is a water fountain half way up, but you should bring water in case it is very hot.

Camping

NO CAMPING on the mountain, although there is camping in Griffith Park

Mountain Conditions

Trail is in great condition. It is as wide as a road and i believe it is maintained by the City Of Los Angeles.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Lonewacko - Jul 13, 2005 3:58 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The section of Vermont that leads to the observatory is closed at sundown, and the rangers give tickets if you're parked beyond the gate after that time.

When there are performances at the Greek Theater (on Vermont on the way to the observatory), pay attention to the posted signs. You might not be able to park after 5pm.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Santa Monica MountainsMountains & Rocks