Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 15, 2014
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Add Heading Here

This was a great Father's Day hike, being joined by my daughter Anna.  Did the Rocky Branch-Isolation-Davis route: 14.6 miles round-trip (AMC guidebook), 4.5 hours each way (our experience).

Ascent up Rocky Branch Trail was moderate, much less steep than conventional stairs, with almost no major "Stair-Masters," had some patches of great footway with a "walk in the park" feel, but note that there was lots of water on trails.  Then it's pretty flat until reaching the Rocky Branch River crossings.  Dealing with the water required lots of rock hopping and walking on side of trail occasionally.  We saw a moose about 1.25 hours (~ 2 miles) into the hike...in full Bullwinkle regalia!

Easy to find/stay on trail, although counting and being certain of the major crossings of Rocky Branch River can be tricky.  We counted only three: (1) At end of Rocky Branch, west to cross to Isolation Trail (2) Continuing on Isolation Trail, to cross to east side of river, with trail away and above river on east side and then (3) once more to west side of river, after which trail ascends up to Davis Path Trail.  AMC guidebook suggests that there are more crossings total; e.g. ("The trail crosses the river three more times...").

Summit was quite windy with a few gusts that forced us down to a protected area for lunch.  Would have preferred to stay on top to maybe see Mt. Washington clear of clouds.  But we otherwise caught great views while up there.  Had a great time.  Only one more NH 4000-footer to go!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount IsolationTrip Reports