Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.47017°N / 114.78069°W
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10057 ft / 3065 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Jordan is a formidable peak tucked away in the Salmon River Mountain Range in the middle of Idaho. It shares a ridge with The General, and the two mountains stand taller than most in the area. Like many Idaho mountains, Jordan is extremely obscure and rarely climbed. This is a shame, because the view from the top of this mountain is absolutely breathtaking. Also, it offers climbs or scrambles for most types of climbers.

The rock that composes this mountain -- and many of the surrounding mountains -- is a crumbly limestone. This accounts for the huge amounts of talus rock that must be traversed on route to this mountain. This also makes climbing the lakeside face of this mountain (see right) nearly impossible.
The North Face of Mount JordanThe Face of Mount Jordan


Getting There

Follow these directions. Mount Jordan is closer to where you leave from than the General is, so follow the directions, but you will find it sooner.

Red Tape

There are no specific limitations on backwoods in Idaho. The only advice is that you use your head when picking routes, and pack out what you packed in.

Camping Spots Around Mount Jordan

The best spot to be found is right at the foot of the mountain. There is a deep blue lake on the north side of Mount Jordan that serves perfectly for a camp. It is difficult to get into with some semi-technical descents down steep ridges, but it is well worth it. In fact, it is mandatory as there are not any other suitable points to camp.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Jul 8, 2013 2:32 am - Hasn't voted

elevation

Once again, the elevation for Mt. Jordan is 10,063 not 10,057 as listed here.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.