Mount Juneau Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 58.31900°N / 134.408°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Most people access Mount Juneau from the steep Mount Juneau Trail. This trail branches off to the left/north of the Perseverance Trail about a mile from the trailhead. The Mount Juneau Trail then climbs rather steeply for more than two miles to the summit. As of 2012 new switchbacks have been added, so the ascent isn't as steep as it once was.

Keep a lookout for hoary marmots, spruce grouse, and wild flowers. Avalanche danger may persist until late spring, and large snow banks may be present on the steep sections of this trail.

Mount Juneau MapMap of the standard route up Mount Juneau. (Where the map is marked 4wd is definitely an error).

Getting There

To access the trail Mount Juneau from downtown Juneau, you must first access the well known Perseverance Trail. To get there, take Gold Street to Basin Road and follow it to the end.

Looking Straight Down on Juneauooking straight down on Juneau from the summit of Mount Juneau. The trailhead is around the lower middle part of the photo.

Route Description

The beginning of the route follows the heavily used Perseverance Trail. The trail originally accessed the Silverbow Mine which operated between 1885 and 1895 when the mill was destroyed by a snowslide. The mine reopened after 1900 and was used sporadically until 1921. The trail features old mining ruins, marmots, warblers, wild flowers, and views of Ebner falls. This trail is popular with bikers and joggers and is within easy walking distance of downtown.

The Perseverance Trail follows a gentle grade on the north side of the valley. After a short while there is a view across the canyon to the Alaska Juneau Mine. In the area of Ebner Falls, which is worth a quick side trip, the trail to Mount Juneau branches left.

The route immediately becomes more rugged once you are on the Mount Juneau Trail. The trail is pretty well maintained, but is very steep and has some tricky stream crossings.

At first the trail winds through thick brush. There is a short path to the left that leads to a nice overlook. After that the trail traverses a steep slope and crossed the creek at a waterfall. From here on the trail used to be very steep and climbed directly to the summit. In late summer 2012, however, Trail Mix (Juneau's trail building and maintenance organization) added a couple of long, gradual switchbacks to the section between that waterfall you cross and the summit, so the ascent is now easier and not as steep.

Enjoy the views from the summit! Hopefully you can hit the summit on one of the rare clear days.

Tricky crossingThe crossing of the waterfall on Mount Juneau.


Experienced hikers and climbers can continue along the Juneau Ridge and drop into Granit Basin and follow the Granit Creek Trail back down.

If you just climb Mount Juneau, the route is six miles round trip with 3576 feet elevation gain.

SummitReaching the summit of Mount Juneau.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed. Also, a map and compass, especially on a a cloudy day, which is normal. Before mid June and ice axe and crampons may be needed.

Mount Juneau summitThe summit of Mount Juneau.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.