Mount Owen-Koven Route, August 2012

Mount Owen-Koven Route, August 2012

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Mount Owen-August 2012




A collection of photos(and one video) I took on a trip up the Koven route of Mount Owen with a buddy of mine named JD. We figured it would best to do the trip in a day and carry light packs, but we ended up on the summit at 5 pm with bad weather approaching. After a hasty descent from the peak, we spent the night shivering underneath our coats somewhere on the Teton Glacier moraine. I will remember to bring a sleeping bag next time. 


Mount Owen
Mount Owen seen from the Teton Glacier moraine
The North Face of Dissappointment Peak
The sheer wall that is the North Face of Disappointment Peak, seen from the Teton Glacier moraine on the approach to Mount Owen.

The Teton Glacier and the Grand Teton
The North Face of the Grand Teton and the Teton Glacier which we had to cross in order to reach the base of the route. My climbing partner JD can be seen in the lower right hand corner of the picture, dwarfed by the giants around him.
The stunning North Face of the Grand Teton
The tremendous North Face of the Grand Teton seen from the base of the Koven route.

Steep terrain on Mt Owen
JD ascending steep terrain which we ran into by accidentally going slightly off route.

The saddle between the Grand Teton and Mount Owen-Seen from the Koven Couloir
The saddle between the Grand Teton and Mount Owen-Seen from the base of the Koven Couloir.

Above the saddle on the Koven route-Mt Owen
Above the saddle at the top of the Koven couloir.
Looking Down the East Face of Mount Owen
Exposure high on the Koven route.

The North Ridge of the Grand Teton
The North Ridge of the Grand Teton seen from the Koven route.
The view of Mount Moran from the Koven Route of Mount Owen
View north towards Mount Moran from the snowfield beneath the summit block of Mount Owen.

Wait a minute....we climbed the wrong mountain!!!
A glimpse of the Grand Teton from the snowfield high on the Koven route.
Nearing the summit of Mount Owen, via the Koven Route
Nearing the summit of Mount Owen.

No rope ,no problem-Mount Owen
JD playing chicken with gravity on the 5th class terrain of the summit block of Mount Owen. We once again got off route here and ended up ascending some quite scary terrain unroped. At this point, we were simply too exhausted and lazy to rope up. Also the weather was begining to take a quite menacing look at this point, and roping up would have slowed us down considerably.
Myself enjoying the fresh air on the summit of Mount Owen
Myself on the summit of Mount Owen at 5 PM with incliment weather approaching.




Looking down from the summit of Mount Owen
View down the massive west face of Mount Owen from the summit.
USGS Marker on top of Mount Owen
Summit marker from the top of Mount Owen.


The Grand Teton and Mount Owen-Early morning light
The Grand Teton and Mount Owen at first light on the hike back to Lupine Meadows. We spent the night shivering in the glacial moraine beneath Mount Owen.


Comments

No comments posted yet.