Mount Wuh and Joe Mills Mountain

Mount Wuh and Joe Mills Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.32617°N / 105.67967°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
View to the north from the summit of Joe Mills Mountain
View to the north from the summit of Joe Mills Mountain.

This link-up combines Mount Wuh and Joe Mills Mountain into one outing. This page describes the route starting with Mount Wuh, but it can easily be reversed to start with Joe Mills Mountain.

Getting There

Start at the Bear Lake Trailhead.

Route Description

Stats: Class 2, 7.0 miles (round trip), 2034 feet of elevation gain.

From the Bear Lake Trailhead follow the Flattop Mountain Trail for 0.4 miles to a switchback where the trail to Bierstadt Lake continues straight, but the Flattop Mountain Trail turns to the west. Continue on the Flattop Mountain Trail for another 0.5 miles to the point where the Flattop Mountain Trail turns to the left (south), but the Fern-Odessa Trail continues straight. Continue on the Fern-Odessa Trail for 1.0 mile and an elevation of 10,320 feet.

From here, leave the trail and head north through the forest to Round Pond, 0.6 miles away. From Round Pond, head northeast up Mount Wuh's west ridge for 0.6 miles to Mount Wuh's summit.

From the summit of Mount Wuh, hike back down the west ridge to Round Pond, then head southwest for 0.6 miles up Joe Mill Mountain's northeast ridge to the summit of Joe Mills Mountain.

From the summit of Joe Mills Mountain, descend to the south for 0.2 miles back to the Fern-Odessa Trail. Take the Fern-Odessa trail for 1.6 miles back to the Flattop Mountain Trail, then take the Flattop Mountain Trail for 0.9 miles back to Bear Lake.

Trail Profile and Map

The trail color represents the class of that portion of the trail.

Green = Class 1
Blue = Class 2

Trail Profile

The vertical unit is feet, and the horizontal unit is miles.
 
Trail profile of Mount Wuh and Joe Mills Mountain
 


Map
 
Mount Wuh and Joe Mills Mountain from Bear Lake Trailhead
Mount Wuh and Joe Mills Mountain from Bear Lake TH.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
aw11

aw11 - Nov 5, 2014 7:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Mileage Mistake

Isn't the turnoff for Bierstadt Lake 0.4 miles from the Bear Lake Trailhead, not 4 miles?

tomlauren

tomlauren - Nov 7, 2014 2:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mileage Mistake

You are correct. Thanks for the catch! I made the correction.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Mount WuhRoutes