Mountain Springs Peak & Windy Peak

Mountain Springs Peak & Windy Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.03595°N / 115.48158°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 28, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring

Mountain Springs Peak

GPS Trace of trip












We (Jim and I) started out driving to Mountain Springs, NV. Once we got there we went just over Mountain Springs Summit and then turned off the HWY and headed for the trailhead. Instead of taking the standard route to the summit we started hiking on the open desert. We went over a wash and up a ridge and eventually ended up on a saddle. This saddle was the 4WD road we should have started on. From here we could see the route up the ridge and then north to the summit.



We gained the ridge and headed for Pt. 6440. Once we were here we noticed Windy Peak a short distance east along another ridge. We decided we would bag Windy on the way out. It was a only about 1/2 mile north along the ridge to Mountain Springs Peak from here.

The summit of Mountain Springs Peak provided great views of Potosi Mountain, Mt. Charleston, and Red Rocks.



Windy Peak

After enjoying the views from Mountain Springs Peak it was time to hike back down the ridge to Pt. 6440 and then over to Windy Peak. Once we got to Pt. 6440 we scouted the ridgeline over towards Windy Peak. We were hoping there wasn't a huge drop off at the end of the ridge over to Windy Peak. We hiked the one mile or so over to the start of the sandstone at Windy Peak.



The ridgeline connected so we scouted a route to take to the summit. I noticed a crack that looked good to scramble up. We scrambled up this crack and then scrambled the short distance to the summit.

The summit register had a map of all the nearby locally named peaks in Red Rock Canyon. By this time it was starting to get very warm under the sun. We then hiked back to Pt. 6440 and down the ridge to the old 4WD road on the saddle and hiked along the road all the way back to the vehicle.



On the return drive back to Las Vegas we ended up being right behind a Ferarri 355!



Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Windy PeakTrip Reports