Cherry Mountain (Mount Martha)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.32980°N / 71.4984°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3573 ft / 1089 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Shot of the Presidentials from Cherry Mtn.


Only imagine the view in winter!!!

Overview

Cherry Mtn. from the...

Cherry Mountain once called Mt. Martha after George Washington's wife, is well known in the White Mountains for have one of the best views of Mt. Washington and the Presidentials. The peak also has a great view off to the northwest towards Vermont and the southwest toward the Pemigwasset Wilderness Area.

Though not hiked much by tourist because it is under four thousand feet and it doesn't rise above timberline, it is famous with locals. It is also famous with it's long snowmobile trail that makes for a very easy hiking trail in summer.

Cherry Mtn. is a great hike for children because the hike is steady climbing but is very short at only 3.8 miles. Many local family pick this peak for there childs first climb. Due to the comparative ease of the trail compared to many of the other mountains, this trail can also be done in snowshoes.

This mountain can be link to neighboring Owl's Head by taking the 0.8 mile Martha Mile trail which the traverse the ridge for more views towards the north.

Getting There

CHERRY MOUNTAIN TRAILHEAD(1,650'): Take I-93 North to Exit 36 (Route 3) toward Twin Mountain. Stay on Route 3 past Twin Mountain until reaching NH 115. Stay on NH 115 for 1.9 miles and the Cherry Mountain trailhead will be on your right.

 

Red Tape

No mandatory fee (yet!!)

The parking area is not plowed in winter though. You will have to park on the side of the road for snowshoeing.

 

When To Climb

This mountain can be climbed at anytime of year, although I would avoid it in April and early May due to mud season. In summer just bring water and decent pair of hiking boots, essential hiking gear and a good camera.

In winter you will need a good pair of snoshoes and treking poles. Crampons are optional and an Ice Axe is a waste. Winter is the preferred time to hike this mountain due to it's terrific views of the then snowy Mt. Washington.

 

Camping

Cherry Mountain is an easy 3.8 mile day hike and there is little need to camp here. However if you are interest in camping, check out the Backcountry Camping Rules in the AMC White Mountain Guide (see BOOKS)

 

Mountain Conditions

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions in the White Mountains.




Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Weather Forecast

Here is a link to Weather at the base of Cherry Mtn. Take into account the elevation increase for weather on the summit.

Weather Around Cherry Mtn.

 

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.