Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.53950°N / 111.6681°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11171 ft / 3405 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This relatively unkown peak certainly deserves more attention. John Veranth's "Hiking the Wasatch" only mentions the peak as part of the Bullion Divide ridgerun.

Red Baldy sits on the Alpine Ridge seperating Little Cottonwood and American Fork Canyons in the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. At 11,171 feet it is among the highest peaks in the Wasatch, but it sits between the higher American Fork Twin Peaks and White Baldy, thus, it sees relatively few ascents.

Red Baldy is most commonly climbed from White Pine Canyon in Little Cottonwood via a number of routes, but it can also be climbed from the south by hiking to Silver Glance Lake, then routefinding up to "West Pass" between Red and White Baldy, and finishing via the west ridge. Red Baldy is also one of multiple summits often climbed by advanced hikers as part of the Bullion Divide ridgerun.


USGS Quads:
  • Dromedary Peak, Utah (1:24,000)
  • Salt Lake City, Utah (1:100,000)





Getting There

Trailhead: White Pine - X,XXX'
Take the 6200 South exit (exit #6) off I-215 and follow highway 190 south-east approximately 2 miles to the intersection with Big Cottonwood Canyon road. Continue straight through the stoplight and follow the road another 4 miles to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, where an electronic billboard on the right provides current road and/or weather conditions.

Drive about 2/3 of the way up Little Cottonwood Canyon, approximately 30 min from Salt Lake City. There are signs marking the turnoff on the south side of the road for the trailhead parking lot. The turnoff is just past the turnoff for the Tanner's Flat campground.

Neighboring Peaks: This peak is also often approached via Red Top and White Baldy, .



Route Stats

East Ridge
Distance: 3.95 mi
Elevation Gain: 3564'
Slope: 902 ft/mi

White Pine Fork
Distance: 3.46 mi
Elevation Gain: 3530'
Slope: 1020 ft/mi

Red Tape

Red Baldy is located within the Wasatch-Cache National Forest as well as the Salt Lake County Watershed.

Camping
  • Anywhere 100 ft off of trails
  • Anywhere at least 200 ft away from streams and lakes.

Human Waste
  • Please attend to 'business' at least 200 ft away from any water source.
    Other Restrictions
    • Also, no swimming is allowed in the reservoirs.




    When To Climb

    Any time of year. If going in the winter, most routes are likely to be exposed to avalanche paths.



    Mountain Conditions



    In the winter make sure to check the avalanche conditions before attempting this peak!

    Weather



    External Links

    Silver Creek Trail


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasatch Range (Central)Mountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch Alpine RidgeMountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch 11,000 foot peaksMountains & Rocks