Rocky Mouth Canyon Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.53813°N / 111.76156°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10292 ft / 3137 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rocky Mouth Canyon Peak is the 27th highest peak within Salt Lake County. It sits at the eastern terminus of the ridge separating Rocky Mouth Canyon and Big Willow Canyon. It is very seldom climbed as it shares no standard approach with any other peak, and is completely overshadowed by it's neighbor to the south, Lone Peak.

This peak does have a few things going for it though. First of which is that it is seldom climbed. It is about as remote and private as they come in the Wasatch. Second, it has outstanding views of Bells Canyon and the high peaks on the ridge surrounding it. It also has views of the western portion of the Cottonwood Ridge, Mount Olympus, the Oquirrh mountains, and the Salt Lake Valley.

Possible approaches include Big Willow Canyon and Bells Canyon. Both start at trailheads along the western foothills, and require much elevation gain. The goal from either canyon is to reach the saddle between the two, and go up the south ridge of the peak. Other options include the Dry Creek/Bells Canyon saddle, which can also be reached from either canyon, and ascending the North ridge. View the route pages for more details.

Getting There

The Big Willow trailhead is at a park located adjacent to an LDS stake center at 11570 S Wasatch Blvd, Sandy, UT 84092.

Driving south on Wasatch Boulevard it is approximately 2.7 miles from Little Cottonwood on the left side of the road. Coming from I-15 get off at 12300 South and drive east following the road as it curves to the North just past 1300 East. At the first light after the curve, turn east onto Wasatch Boulevard. It is approximately 1.7 miles to the Stake Center.

Don't park at the church itself, but rather Hidden Valley Park, just to the south. From here just walk up the asphalt trail toward the mountains. Turn left at the first benches on the dirt trail cutting North.

For Bells Canyon, visit the Bells Canyon Trailhead page.

Red Tape

The peak and surrounding areas lie within the Lone Peak Wilderness area. Restrictions include:

  • Groups must not exceed 10 persons.
  • No camping within 200 feet of water or trails.
  • No camping for over three days at one site.
  • Do not short-cut trail switchbacks.



Full Wilderness restrictions can be found at http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=wildView&tab=regulations&WID=330

Please practice Leave No Trace ethics.

Camping

Camping is prohibited in lower Big Willow, though there is no point to camping there anyway. In Mid to Upper Big Willow camping is allowed, if you can find a suitable spot. Inside the Big Willow Cirque there is no water available. Mid-Canyon is probably the best bet. Camping is allowed within Bells Canyon as well. See "Red Tape" for restrictions.

When To Climb

This peak can theoretically be climbed year round. The optimal time is probably summer or fall before the snow falls. I can say with assurance that it can be done in Mid-May, but there is still quite a bit of snow left. In the winter the peak should only be attempted by those who have knowledge and training concerning avalanches as it is a real possibility in Big Willow and Bells.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Moogie737

Moogie737 - Jul 13, 2006 1:43 am - Voted 9/10

Benches and trail info

These "benches" are made of steel and painted brown. There is also a sign which says "Bonneville Shoreline Trail." After following a road and crossing around a steel gate, continue up the road until making a lazy right turn. Within a few feet a sign reading "Sawmill Trail" is on the right. Turn right and get ready for steep. In addition, a recent restriction states plainly that NO DOGS are allowed.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.