Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.87900°N / 7.15730°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9675 ft / 2949 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Pointe de Drone. East ridge...
Pointe de Drone. East ridge in May


Why would anyone want to climb this mountain, that is located among all those alpine 4000m-Giants? Grand Combin and Mont Velan to one side, the Aiguilles (Verte, de la Argentiere) to the other and Mont Blanc and Grandes Jorasses as well as Gran Paradiso and La Grivola just across the Aosta Valley?

To tell you my own reasons: the Pointe de Drône is easily accessible by car, the ascent includes a secured but lofty "ferrata" and the view is just breathtaking. And for all of you who might not be willing to do multiday climbs this is just as good as it can get.

Take a look at the pictures. Unfortunately the film I was using at the time was very grainy. Nevertheless the pictures should tell you a lot about the beauty of the place.

 Mont Fourchon 2902m Lac de Fenêtre 2512m Mont Telliers 2951m Col du Bastillon 2757m Dent du Grand Lé 2884m Pointe de Drône 2949m Montagna Baux 2373m Lac de Fenêtre 2498m Petite Chenalette 2885m Mont Mort 2867m Col du Grand Saint Bernard 2469m Pain de Sucre 2919m Grande Chenalette 2889m Col Fenêtre de Ferret 2697m Lac de Fenêtre 2457m Petit Lé 2581m Les Lacerandes 2777m Col des Chevaux 2716m Tête Fenêtre 2823m Grand Lé 2554m
Interactive overview map of the Pointe de Drône area (thanks to livioz)



Getting There

The Pointe de Drône is located a little west of the pass of Gd. St. Bernard on the border between Italy and Switzerland. The trailhead therefore is on top of the pass at 2469m of altitude. To get there be sure to miss the tunnel - you need to get to the top!

Red Tape

No red tape here. The parking lot atop the pass of Gd. St. Bernhard is rather small so be sure to start early.

When To Climb

As usual within the alps May through October is the best season. In winter you will probably be able to find easier routes with similar views.

Camping

There's no need for free camping in the region. A campground and lots of accomodations can be found in the valleys on either side of the border. The italian side might be a little less expensive.

Mountain Conditions

For weather conditions check with the Valle d'Aosta Meteo site.

 

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Garfield - Dec 12, 2005 10:10 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Photo

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.