Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.08490°N / 74.0927°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3140 ft / 957 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Overlook Mountain as seen...


Overlook Mountain is surely one of the most interesting in all of the Catskills. Its close proximity to Woodstock has made it a popular destination for tourists. Although the Overlook Mountain Wild Forest only covers 590 acres, its rocky slopes make for a very interesting day hike.

Overlook Mtn, Woodtock, NYOverlook Mountain


In addition to providing a habitat for the timber rattlesnake, a protected species that only lives in one other area of the Catskills, the summit is covered with red oaks (trees usually found on lower slopes and in valleys, not 3,100' above sea level), and some red spruce/balsam fir trees (those typical over 3,300'). In 1871, the Overlook Mountain House opened its doors to guests, joining numerous others in the Catskills. This hotel had the distinction of being the highest, at 2,920'. The Mountain House could house 300 guests and, despite burning down twice, prospered until around the time of the stock market crash. In the following years, it was rebuilt (but never opened to guests) and eventually looted and abandoned, leaving the ruins that can still be seen along the trail.

Getting There

Approach from the I-87 thruway heading north from NYC
Exit I-87 at exit 19 (Kingston) and turn right (traffic circle) on route 28, follow route 28 west for 5.9 miles. In West Hurley turn right onto route 375. Follow route 375 for 2.9 miles to its end, turn left onto route 212 (to Woodstock). Follow route 212 for 0.5 of a mile to Tinker Square, turn right onto county route 33 (Rock City Road). Follow Rock City Road north through Glasco turnpike (0.7miles) which turns into Meads Mtn. Road for a total distance of 3 miles to a parking lot on the right. The lot becomes apparent when the road starts to flatten out.

Red Tape

See the NYS Dep. of Environmental Conservation Web Site

Red Tape and info about Back Country Camping.

When To Climb

All year around.
Summer months require no special equipment.
Winter months would only require snow shoes or skis.

Mountain Conditions

Catskills Mountain weather from Tannersville, NY (2000').

Weather in the Catskills

Not exclusive to Overlook Mountain but might contain some up to date weather info
Trail Conditions

Misc. Info

Some Local Attractions in the Woodstock area.
Opus 40
Roswita Szyszka

Fire Tower Information

Click here for infomation about the Overlook and other fire towers Fire Tower Information.

More Fire Tower info Fire Tower Information.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

Special Thanks

Special thanks to grandwazoo for his original submission of this beautiful mountain.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.