Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.24100°N / 71.291°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4807 ft / 1465 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Slide Peak, also known as Gulf Peak*, is not on the list of New Hampshire 4,000 footers. I assume that this is because it does not meet the requirement of a 300' saddle between peaks. As a matter of fact, once you reach the "summit" of Slide Peak, the trail continues up towards Boot Spur without any drop whatsoever. From the summit of Slide Peak, you have great views of Pinkham Notch (where most Mount Washington ascents start from) and the Wildcat Mountain ski area.

The peak is located above treeline and gives almost 360 degree views of the area. You can actually see several of the towers on Mount Washington.

Slide Peak is located on the USGS "Stairs Mountain" quad.

* The AMC White Mountain Guide refers to this as Slide Peak on their map. The TopoZone map refers to this as Gulf Peak. Interestingly enough, they also have different elevations for the same peak. I have chosen to go with the AMC White Mountain Guide for both name and height.

Getting There


Starting from North Conway, New Hampshire, take Route 302 northwest for approximately (15) minutes until you reach the small town known as Glen. There is (1) traffic light here with a small shopping center, and a gas station. Make a right turn at the light and head northeast on Route 16. This is the main road to Pinkham Notch and Mount Washington. Travel no more than 1/2 hour up Route 16 and look for a small picnic area on the left side of the road. If you find that you are at Pinkham's Notch, turn around and it's the first parking area prior to Pinkham's Notch. Once parked, the trailhead starts at the end of the parking area near the toilet facilities.

Red Tape


There were no fees for climbing or parking at this time of year (March). I understand from other pages on this site that parking fees are required so check first.

When To Climb


Slide Peak can be climbed year round. In March, there was plenty of snow and ice on the trail but it is definitely doable, just not easy as there are numerous steep sections on the trail.

Camping


Back country camping is allowed in the White Mountain National Forest. Camping or wood fires are illegal above treeline (defined as trees typically 8' or less in height) or within certain distances from streams, trails, or other significant areas. Campers can contact USFS at 603-524-6450 to identify what restrictions apply in the area that they plan to camp. Winter camping restrictions may vary from summer restrictions.

The Lakes of the Clouds Hut, near Mount Monroe, is the closest hut to Slide Peak.

Mountain Conditions


The Pinkam Notch Visitor's Center (603-466-2727) can provide up to date information on climbing in the area.

The New Hampshire State police can be contacted at (800-852-3411) in case of emergencies.

Weather Conditions




External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.