Peña Montañesa

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.49080°N / 0.19920°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7516 ft / 2291 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Placed over the village of Aínsa, ancient town of the Counts of Sobrarbe, Peña Montañesa constitutes the western end of Sierra Ferrera. It is the highest peak of a limestone massif placed some twenty to thirty kilometers south of the highest peaks of the Pyrenees and allows for some magnificent views of Monte Perdido, Cotiella and Posets when climbed in clear weather. The two main routes are not harder than a walk-up, starting from the pass of La Collada (north face) and from the ruins of the monastery of San Victorián (south face). Not many climbers to be found over here, and spectacular views also during the climb (not only from the summit).

Getting There

ROAD ACCESS: From Zaragoza to Huesca, excellent highway. After that turn right and follow road signs to Barbastro (road N-240). After this town, follow road number N-123 (direction Graus) and turn left on road n. C-138 to El Grado and Aínsa. When you reach Aínsa turn right (road N-260) for some kilometers, until you get to the crossing marked (to your left) Arro/San Victorián. Keep going on this narrow road following the signs to Oncins and San Victorián. The southern route begins some five hundred meters before the abandoned monastery and is marked by a wooden panel showing a graphic of the climb. There is a nearby small church with a water fountain by its side.
For the north face, after Aínsa keep going north on road C-138 towards Bielsa and France. Turn right at Escalona at the crossing marked "Laspuña". This will place you on road HU-6410 for a final climb to La Collada on a narrow road, covered with asphalt at first and dirt road afterwards.

BUS ACCESS: Hudebus is a company serving the line from Sabiñánigo to Aínsa and back (including stops at Torla and Broto, the villages placed closest to the National Park of Ordesa and Monte Perdido). Phone number 974213277 (in Huesca)

RAILWAY ACCESS: The nearest rail stations are the ones at Sabiñánigo and Barbastro. This means that a minimum of forty kilometers will stand between you and Aínsa from any of them. Additional transport will therefore be required (see "Bus access").

NEAREST MAJOR AIRPORTS: Zaragoza / Barcelona (323 km)

Red Tape

No need for permits nor special requirements to be met.

When To Climb

I haven't been there in summer time, but Peña Montañesa is a limestone massif quite exposed to sunlight (specially in its south face). I would therefore recommend not to attempt it in the hottest hours of summer days. At least not the south face.

Camping

No mountain huts. Free camping is allowed as far as I know, and some camping sites can be found down in the valley (check external links section)

Mountain Conditions

No websites nor webcams that I know of. Will check and post them as soon as I find anything.

External Links

  • Aínsa Camping site
    Spanish language info on a Camping site placed in Aínsa, about fifteen kilometers away of San Victorián (trailhead for the south face of Peña Montañesa)
  • Aínsa
    Full tourist info on the village of Aínsa, placed by the Peña Montañesa. Just spanish language, sorry
  • Laspuña
    Spanish language info on the village of Laspuña, gateway for the north face of Peña Montañesa
  • Desnivel #205, Dec 2003
    Desnivel is the most important climbing magazine in spanish language. In this issue there is a special on Peña Montañesa.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.