Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.76500°N / 112.482°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10070 ft / 3069 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Red Mountain is part of the Butte Highlands that overlook the town of Butte Montana. The Highlands are the tallest mountains that you can see from Butte. Once on top of Red Mountain you can continue on to the impressive pyramid of Monument Peak (10136 ft) and the flat plateau of Table Mountain (10223 ft), the highpoint of Silver Bow County.

Getting There

From Interstate 90 exit 228 and follow Continental Dr. It will merge into Hwy 2. Turn right on Highland Drive FR 84. Follow this forest road under an old train bridge and through a small group of homes. The road will turn to a dirt road. Continue to follow this road until you reach a campsite on your right. At the campsite, turn left and follow this dirt road until you come to the next dirt road that you can make a left turn.

At this point depending on the time of year you may have to park here and continue on by foot. If the road is clear of snow continue up until you get to the top of the hill and make your first right at the top of the hill. Follow this road until you reach the edge of a forested section at the base of the mountain. If there is still no snow and your car has enough clearance you can follow this 4wd trail all the way to a gate at just over 9000ft. If not just follow the 4wd trail by foot. There is a lookout tower below the peak with an access road all the way to it.

Red Tape

None. during the winter the dirt road up to the campground has two gates that can be closed due to snow. Also it is a good thing to have 4wd in the spring when the gates are opened since snow levels can still be quite low and ruts in the snow can get pretty big.

When To Climb

Late Spring, Summer and Fall are the easiest times to climb up into the highlands. In the spring you can climb up and ski down. The weather can change real quick in Montana so be prepared.

 

Camping


Camping is allowed. I have always done this as a day hike.

 

External Links

  • Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest
    This largest of the national forests in Montana covers 3.32 million acres, and lies in eight Southwest Montana counties (Granite, Powell, Jefferson, Deer Lodge, Silver Bow, Madison, Gallatin and Beaverhead). Forest Service offices administering the National Forest are in Butte, Dillon, Philipsburg, Deer Lodge, Whitehall, Boulder, Ennis, Sheridan, Wise River, Wisdom, and Lima.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Steve Ball

Steve Ball - Oct 7, 2004 7:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

This is a great area to do some backcountry skiing in the spring once enough snow has built up.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.