Standard Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.76500°N / 112.482°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Depending on how much snow there is, and how far you can drive up the mountain will determine where you begin and how long of a hike you are going to have. In the summer you can drive to just below tree line on the 4wd trail that leads up to the lookout tower. Just below tree line there is a gate and you have to park there. From this point it is about 20 to 30 minutes to the top of Red Mountain. When there is a lot of snow you will have to start farther down the mountain. If you are going in the spring you will most likely see snowmobile tracks since this area is a popular snowmobile area in the winter. Just follow the snow mobile tracks all the way to the top.

Route Description


With no snow on the mountain the route is very simple and once above treeline you can pretty much walk straight up to the top. From the lookout tower you will see a trail that leads up to the summit of Red Mountain. From the top of Red Mountain you will be able to see Mounument Peak and the trail that leads up to it. You can go from peak to peak all along the ridge to Table Mountain.

In the winter and spring when the whol area is covered in snow you can follow the snomobile tracks to just below tree line and then pick your own way up to the top.

Essential Gear


Ice axe and crampons may be necessary in the winter and spring if you are going to continue on the Monument Peak but most likely would not be needed to get up Red Mountain. A pair of snowshoes may be a good idea in winter or skinning up the mountain on skis.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.