Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.21300°N / 74.4434°W
Additional Information County: Sussex
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1448 ft / 441 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wawayanda is, in my opinion, the honest mountain, because on the aproach from Rt. 94, you can see clearly what you are going to be climbing. You see the steep cliffs and you wonder what the trail workers were thinking when they dicided to use this mounain as a good place to relocate the A.T. to. But once you start the climb you realize it is a lot of switch backs and it isn't so bad, those same trail crews did a good job. But what makes Wawayanda the honest mountain is that just as soon as you are getting used to the switchbacks and the climb and think you can do this for a little while longer, there you are, at the top and following a side trail that leads to Pinwheel's Vista. The vista offers views that strech from Mt. Tammany and the Delaware Water Gap to High Point (New Jersey) and Pochuck Mt. to the "Gunks" and the Catskills. Besides the Appalachian Trail as a route to the top there are numerous cliffs on the mountain that are a favorite of local climbers.

History and Geology

Wawayanda (wa-wa-yanda) is an old Indian word meaning "winding waters".
The rocks on and around Wawayanda Mt. are some of the oldest in the whole Appalachian Range over a billion years old. They were formed during the Grenville Orogeny
Vernon Valley, which the mountain form one of the boundry's of, was an important iorn-ore mining area in the 18th. and 19th. centuries. Wawayanda Mt. was one of the main sources of iorn-ore in the area. The rocks at the base of the climb and some of the cliffs are most likely a result of drilling and blasting for the mines.
Pinwheel's Vista gets its name from trail maintainer Paul DeCoste, Pinwheel was his nickname. Wawayanda Mt. and the vista was his favorite hike, so the vista was named after him.

Getting There

Wawayanda is located in Wawayanda State Park, in between Vernon, NJ and New Milford, NY.

Route 94 Trailhead: From Interstate 80.
Exit on Exit 19 (Hackettstown and Andover)
Go North on County Road 517
Stay on Route 517 untill it intersects State Road 94 just before the south base of Mountain Creek Ski Area
Follow Rt. 94 North in to Vernon, NJ
Continue all the way through Vernon and 2.4 miles after leaving Vernon and 0.6 miles after passing Maple Grange Road there is a parking lot on your right. Park there and head North on the Appalachian Trail.

Red Tape

Appalachian Trail Governing Regulations
Carry out all trash.
Pets must be on a 6-foot leash at all times.
Horseback riding and bicycle riding are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail within Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
All types of motorized vehicles are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail, except authorized emergency vehicles.
Cutting, defacing, or removing any natural feature is prohibited.
Self-contained stoves are permitted; ground fires are prohibited. Charcoal stove and grills are prohibited.
Camping is restricted to through-hikers who are hiking for two or more consecutive days.
Camping is limited to one night per campsite.
Camping is limited to ten persons per campsite.
Hikers MUST CAMP within 100 feet of the Appalachian Trail.
Hikers MAY NOT CAMP within 1/2-mile of an established roadway
Hikers MAY NOT CAMP within 200 feet of another camping party

When To Climb

Can be climbed all year. Most people usually do it in the spring/summer/fall seasons. Mountain could be a little dangerous in winter.

Mountain Conditions


"Click for Vernon, New Jersey Forecast"




Type in ZIP code 07462 in local forcast

Camping

See Red Tape Section of Page
or...
You can camp at Wawayanda State Park.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.