Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.69010°N / 106.2652°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13075 ft / 3985 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Gore Range Overview


Vista Peak  photo_id=169646
East Partner Peak/Peak V and Peak W from Vista Peak's Slopes.


Colorado’s spectacular but barely known Gore Range is host to many alpine summits over 13,000-ft and many more summits over 12,000-ft. In the relatively short stretch from Gore Pass in the north to Tenmile Creek in the south, the Gore range is densely populated with 50 some mountains over 12,000-ft. The Gores, rather then consisting of large isolated mountains rising from the timber or tundra, consist instead of dramatic serrated ridges, with the summits being ridge junctions or highpoints. These dramatic ridges are riddled with gnarled, tooth-like spires that have mesmerized many world-class climbers. Many of these high and wild ridges actually have names like, The Zodiac Spires, Ripsaw Ridge, Red Diamond Ridge and The Grand Traverse.

Geologicaly the Gore Range is a fault-block mountain range. Similiar to the Sangre de Cristos of Colorado and the Tetons of Wyoming in that these ranges are bounded by faults that broke and shifted, thrusting up the mountains while downdropping the valleys. Although the rock is similiar to the Idaho Springs Formation of the Front Range, the rugged Gore's contrasting orogensis makes these mountains look quite different from the glaciated folded anticline that makes up the Front Range. Glaciers played an extensive role in carving the cirques and spires that abound in the Gores. Many of the drainages are choked by large terminal moraines at their lower reaches and cut by successive headwalls higher up. Many headwalls are graced with gorgeous waterfalls.

The Gore Range is almost completely encompassed by the Eagles Nest Wilderness. This 133,325 acre Wilderness Area was established in 1976. It is popular (especialy the Vail side) but wilderness protection has granted a lasting pristene quality that is palpable. Despite the network of access trails, many drainages (the upper reaches in particular) remain trail-less. Wilderness regulations do apply; please follow them as this area is a real treasure.

Only 60 miles at its closest point from Denver, the Gore Range as a whole is relatively unknown. Due to the lack of mining roads that criss-cross more popular mountain ranges the interior of the Gore Range can be difficult to reach. Of the summits of the Gore Range none attain the magic 14,000-ft mark, which accounts for some of the ranges obscurity. The monarch of the Gore Range is the 13,534-ft. Mount Powell at the north end of the range. Overall, the west side of the Gore Range is more accessible than the east. If approaching from the east, expect long, tedious, bushwhacking adventures with difficult route finding.

A result of the Gore Range's obscurity is that few of the summits are officialy named. The Colorado Mountain Club and enterprising climbers have often bestowed their own names. These unofficial designations often are the "alphabet" designations of the early CMC trips (relics of the 1930's) or the more inspired names that came latter on (The Spider, Mount Solitude, etc). A list of these names and their elevations can be found at Gerry and Jennifer Roach's wonderful website. The process educating one's self about these mountains is quite rewarding. Hand label your maps.

Those of us that are determined to spend some time climbing the Gores should own updated U.S. Geological survey topography maps and brush up on their compass skills. Precise planning and execution are of paramount importance when selecting routes in this range. With solid route finding, many of these quiet summits can be climbed without a rope. Major faces and long jagged ridges provide unlimited technical climbing opportunities as well. An ice axe is highly recommended on any early season climbs.

Please do your own research and homework for the Gores because this mountain range lacks any current guidebook exposure. After developing strong map reading skills, go and discover for yourself the Gore Range magic you occasionally hear about.

Please see Theron Welch's excellent page on the Gore Range for more information. His photos and descriptions are inspiring and informative. Thank you Mr. Welch.

Text graciously provided by Kane with some elaboration by myself.

Vista Peak  photo_id=169632

The Mount Solitude Massif from Keller Mountain. Left to right are: Skiers Point, Climbers Point, Mount Solitude, and Vista Peak.

Vista Peak Overview


Vista Peak  photo_id=206010
Mount Solitude and Vista Peak from North Vista Peak.


Vista Peak is the northernmost summit on the high undulating ridge that is the Mount Solitude Massif. Rounding out the ridge's southern end are Climbers Point and Skiers Point. All of these summits may be combined but the full traverse of the ridge would make for a long day.

Vista Peak's position, true to its namesake, offers better views then its companions to the south. It offers unimpeded views of the two Partners, West Partner Peak and East Partner Peak as well as a sweeping northern panorama of Peak W, Peak Q, Peak L, Peak R, Peak X, Peak Y, and Peak Z. The view is spectacular.

Vista Peak shares the physiology of its companion summits: it is a highpoint along a ridge, the west side of the ridge consists of very steep grass slopes (avalanche chutes come winter), while the east side is cirqued. Its ascent should only require a stiff hike in the summer months. In winter the avalanche danger would be severe.

Vista Peak is a place to enjoy the beauty of the Gore Range.

Vista Peak  photo_id=169680
Mount Solitude and Vista Peak from Upper Boulder Creek Basin. Photo courtesey of Kane.


Maps and Directions


Vista Peak  photo_id=169665
Pitkin Creek Route on Vista Peak: class 2, <10 mile roundtrip, 4,500 feet elevation gain.


Pitkin Lake Trailhead:
Locating the Pitkin Lake Trailhead is easy. From Denver, take I-70 west, past the Eisenhower Tunnel and on to the popular ski towns of Dillon and Silverthorne. Continue past Copper Mountain Ski Resort and on to Vail Pass. From Vail Pass, descend down to the city of Vail, Colorado and take exit 180, your first Vail exit on the right. Turn right and quickly make another right and drive about .2 mile east. Look for the trailhead on the left next to some private condos.

Directions per Kane.

Pitkin Creek-West Slopes Route: Class 2, 10 miles roundtrip, 4,500 feet elevation gain.
The Pitkin Creek-West Slopes Route begins at the Pitkin Lake Trailhead. Follow the trail up steep slopes as it climbs out of the Vail Valley. After aproximately a mile the angle relents dramaticaly as you enter the Pitkin Creek basin. The trail continues on past two waterfalls. After climbing up the headwall that contains the second falls continue for a half mile before leaving the comforts of the trail. Bushwhack along a creek flowing in from the basin between Vista Peak and East Partner Peak. As you near timberline cross to the creek's east side and steer towards a grassy/snow filled avalanche chute that penetrates a brief cliffy portion low on Vista Peak. Once past the cliffs countour up the steep talus-grass mix of Vista Peaks West Slopes. In the right season there should be tons of wildflowers on this slope. After the haul up to the ridge crest turn north for the final scenic stroll up Vista Peak's summit rocks. Return by reversing the route or go on to climb Mount Solitude and Climbers Point.

Note: If Vista Peak is ascended from the Bighorn Creek Drainage along with Skiers Point, Climbers Point, and Mount Solitude, it is important that you climb back to Skiers Point before returning to the Bighorn Creek drainage. Dropping off of either Vista Peak's or Mount Solitude's east side will put you in the Upper Boulder Creek Drainage... a ways away from Bighorn Creek.

Vista Peak  photo_id=169635
Panorama of the Gore Range from the summit of Vista Peak.

Red Tape


“Red Tape” per attm

No permits or fees are required. Like all wilderness areas no mechanized or motorized vehicles are permitted within the Eagles Nest boundaries.

Wilderness is land set aside as part of wild America, where man can be a visitor. The natural environment has not been disturbed. Travel is restricted to foot or horseback. No mechanized equipment is allowed.

For more information, contact the U.S. Forest Service at the # below:

Additional Resources:

Eastern Portion of the Wilderness:


Dillon Ranger District
680 River Parkway
Silverthorne, CO 80498
970-468-5400

or

Western Portion of the Wilderness:

Holy Cross Ranger District
P.O. Box 190, 24747 US HWY 24
Minturn, CO, 81645, Phone: 970-827-5715


When To Climb


Vista Peak's location deep in the Pitkin Lake drainage would expose one to extreme avalanche danger during the winter months (all the meadows along the Pitkin Lake trail are run-out zones for avalanche paths). For this reason ascent is recomended for June to October.

Vista Peak  photo_id=169630
Vista Peak beneath its mantle of winter snow. Vista Peak is the left most summit, Mount Solitude is center, and Climbers Point is on the right edge.


Camping


Camping is available at several locations along the Pitkin Lake Trail. Decent spots are available below both sets of falls marked on the map. The meadows above the second falls offer oportunities to get away from the trail. Pitkin Lake would make an idylic base for attempts on any of the summits that surround the Pitkin Lake Basin, Vista Peak included.

Mountain Conditions


Expect snow in the Gore Range until early June.

  • Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC)

  • Vail Web Cam

    Click image to enlarge

    Click here to view a 7-day forecast for The Gore Range