Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.27670°N / 118.638°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10234 ft / 3119 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


This is a nice 2nd class SPS peak in the Western Sierra. A very fun two day trip when climbed with Moses Mountain or a good dayhike from the Hidden Falls Campground.

There is camping in Long Meadow, an established site with a fire ring. Head north on the Summit Lake Trail to approach this peak. Then, chose to take the ridge or gully after leaving the trail and crossing the river. Whichever route looks less brushy should work out. I took the ridge up and the gully back down. The route drawn on the map is somewhere in between. Head to the saddle between peak 10113 and N. Maggie (10,234 on the map) and then head up to the summit again avoiding brush.

The peak is visited by only a few groups of climbers each year, mostly people climbing the Sierra Peaks List.

Note, there are not many ducts on this route and please don't add any. This route info and map should be enough to find the peak.

Getting There


From 99 north of Bakersfield Take Highway 65 north to Porterville. Take 190 through Porterville to Springville. Continue northeast from Springville for just under a mile until you see the "Mountain Home State Forest" sign. Turn north (left) onto Balch Park (County highway J37) at the sign.

About 4 miles north of 190 bear right on Bear Creek Drive as indicated by another sign that points to Mtn Home. This turn is easy to miss (if you get to Milo, you went to far!). Follow Bear Creek Drive (county highway m-220) as it goes northeast across Rancheria Creek and then east to the conservation camp, then the road winds south to a great overlook, then northeast to the Mountain Home State Forest headquarters. Follow the main road, and keep looking for Balch Park or Shake Camp signs. About 3.75 mile past the Mountain Home State Forrest headquarters the road forks. Take the right fork. Then shortly turn right again. Continue 2.5 miles to Hidden Falls Campground. If you get to Shake camp you missed the last turn. Backtrack .6 miles.

You can also approach this peak from Shake camp, it's just a longer hike.

Red Tape


For overnight permits contact:

Tule River Ranger District
32588 Highway 190
Springville, CA 93265
559-539-2607

There is no charge for permits and the rangers will leave it outside the station for you to pick up. Also, fires are permitted so be sure to get a campfire permit if you plan to have a fire.

There is overnight parking and day use parking close to the trailhead.

When To Climb


Spring, summer, early fall. Watch out for the hunters when the season starts in October.

Camping


Camping is allowed in the area with a permit. There is an established campsite at the trailhead called the Hidden Falls Campground, call the ranger station for reservation information. Bivying near the trailhead has worked for me in the past.

Mountain Conditions


Check with the ranger station for current conditions. Springville, CA is nearby so checking the weather there can be helpful.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
tarol

tarol - Feb 6, 2006 1:31 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

Tulare County Mountains Weather Forecast

tarol

tarol - Jul 18, 2006 6:52 pm - Voted 9/10

Hidden Falls Campground

You cannot make reservations for Hidden Falls Campground... it's all first-come, first-served and there is no charge.

tarol

tarol - Dec 4, 2006 9:10 pm - Voted 9/10

Live Webcam View

Link to webcam pointed towards the southern part of Sequoia National Park. Camera mountain on Jordan Peak in Sequoia National Forest. Maggie Mountain is on the far left.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.