Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.11300°N / 115°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10470 ft / 3191 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hortsman peak dominates the head of the fishhook creek drainage and is climbed by a few people each year, but you are usually guaranteed solitude anywhere on this peak. Routes range from class 3 ridge scrambles on "less than ideal" rock to 5.5-5.9 alpine routes which require a good knowledge of route finding .
The sickle couloir route is the most commonly climbed technical route, and holds snow nearly all year, with a class 3+ scramble finish to the summit.

Getting There

Looking up the NE side toward...
This point is right before...
APPROACH TO NORTH SIDE TECHNICAL CLIMBS:
Drive to the Redfish Lake hikers parking lot and cross the street to the Fishhook trailhead. Follow the trail for approximately 2 miles until it starts to fade in the marshy/brushy areas past an unnamed lake. Keep on the West side of the creek, avoiding brush as much as possible and head west until you can see peak . Then travel cross country (about 1 mile to the base of the peak.

Other approaches to this peak (and the less technical routes)require a long crosscountry hike from Baron Lakes, to Stephens Lake, then to the obvious South ridge for a 3rd class scramble to the summit.

Red Tape

Self issued wilderness permit required to be filled out at trailhead.

When To Climb

Climbing season generally from June - October. Expect snow and high creek crossings in June, July and a lot of mosquitos anytime the temp is above freezing.
Winter climbing isn't advised due to high avalanche danger and extremely remote access.

Camping

Camping at Redfish Lake campgrounds at the trailhead area, or wilderness camping is allowed in the backcountry

Mountain Conditions

Contact Stanley Ranger District (208) 774-3681 for current weather and snow levels.
Tom Lopez's book "Idaho-A climbing guide" has brief descriptions of various routes.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Dec 28, 2005 8:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Found a much quicker, albeit less technical way up Horstmann Pk. Instead of the very long Stephens Lake Approach, Try going up the steep trail-less valley just East of Horstmann from the Fishhook Creek Valley. Once you get up thru the valley it's all rock scrambling via the south face of Horstmann. Exceptional Views of Heyburn are visible from this scramble. You could also scramble to the prominent notch just south of Horstmann to climb the Fishhook Spire.

This way took us 6 hrs car to car, whereas the Stephens Lake or any of the Technical Climbs are at least a full day

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth RangeMountains & Rocks