Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.44790°N / 108.3644°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6851 ft / 2088 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Alamo Hueco Mountains are located in the far southwest corner of New Mexico. These rugged desert mountains are one of the most remote ranges in the 48 states. The Mexican border is only a few miles off in two different directions. Access to these mountains requires a long drive on dirt roads close to the border. The few people that do venture down here usually head for Big Hatchet Peak. The Alamo Hueco Highpoint, 13 miles south of Big Hatchet Peak, is virtually unknown. The summit register revealed that only three other parties had been here since 2000 when the register was placed.

The Alamo Huecos have only one named peak – the 6,149' Pierce Peak. The true highpoint, which is unnamed, is located about two miles west of Pierce Peak, and has an elevation of 6,851'. The Alamo Huecos cannot be seen from Interstate 10, or from any other major highway. The lonely NM Highway 81 leading to the Antelope Wells border crossing station offers the best view of these mountains. The Alamo Hueco Mountains are a long way off the beaten path and are mostly hidden from view in this remote corner of the Chihuahuan Desert.

With an elevation of 6,851', the Alamo Hueco Highpoint ranks way down on the New Mexico elevation list. But the new field of Prominence has made the Alamo Hueco Highpoint a more important objective. With a prominence of 2,091', it's just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

The road into the starting point is long and remote. Your goal is to reach McFarlands Tank. The following is a summary of one possible driving route: Turn off Highway 81 here. Drive to this point, and continue on down to this point. There is more than one way to reach this point, but from here on out, there is only one route in. Drive west towards Pierce Tank. We had to stop short of Pierce Tank because of a road washout, but I know that others were able to find a way around the washout and continue on to McFarlands Tank. If you have to stop near Pierce Tank, you will have to walk cross-country to reach McFarlands Tank. There are roads that reach McFarlands Tank from the west, but they cross private land. It's about 40 miles from Highway 81 to McFarlands Tank.

Mountain Conditions

The BLM District Office in Las Cruces may have some information about road conditions and other access information, but probably little else. Their number is 505-525-4300.

BLM Maps: Animas & Alamo Hueco Mountains.
Topo Maps: Pierce Peak; Sheridan Canyon; Cabin Wells.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in the Alamo Hueco Mountains.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.