Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.23800°N / 108.718°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6008 ft / 1831 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pyramid Peak is located in the Pyramid Mountains. This small mountain range is located just south of Lordsburg, and was formed by a series of volcanic eruptions. From a distance, the Pyramid Mountains appear to be nothing more than a few small hills rising out of the desert. The centerpiece of the range, the aptly named Pyramid Peak, looks like a big anthill. The only other named mountain in the range is South Pyramid Peak, which rises to an elevation of 5,910’. The Pyramids are on BLM land.

Many people see the Pyramid Mountains everyday because of their close proximity to Interstate 10. Motorists driving west on I-10 in the vicinity of Exit 55 will see the summit dome of Pyramid Peak slowly rising out of the horizon. Pyramid Peak is small and unimpressive, but it is a range highpoint, and will make a worthy objective for some people.



Getting There

From Lordsburg, exit I-10 at Exit 22. Just east of the exit is Animas Road. Take this good dirt road south about six miles or so until you see a locked gate on the left side of the road. This is where we parked. The elevation here is 4,580’. However, you can pretty much start from wherever you want. Pyramid Peak is clearly visible about three miles to the southeast.


Mountain Conditions

The BLM District Office in Las Cruces may have some information about this area. Their number is 505-525-4300.

Topo Map: Pyramid Peak; Lordsburg.


Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in the Pyramid Mountains, but primitive camping is allowed.
The BLM District Office in Las Cruces may have some information about this area. Their number is 505-525-4300.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.