Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.32000°N / 105.54°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9786 ft / 2983 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lily Mountain is a low mountain on Rocky Mountain National Park's eastern edge that offers spectacular 360 degree panoramic views of the park's high peaks, the Estes Park Valley and Twin Sisters Peak. The 9786 ft. is actually the high point on a rugged ridge that rises gently from the the saddle with Ram's Horn Mountain and Teddy's Teeth to the north before dropping off sharply eight hundred ft. into Lily Lake to the south. To the east the mountain drops off a thousand feet down to Highway 7 and Fish Creek, and to the west it drops off a thousand feet directly down to Aspen Brook.
Lily Mountain from Lily LakeLily Mountain's rocky south side rises 800 feet from Lily Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Getting There

Access is quite easy. The Lily Mtn. Trailhead is located less than a mile north of the Lily Lake on Highway 7. It isn't much, just a little turn off, with a sign, and its possible that you might be the only one there. A two mile trail, The Lily Mtn. trail starts from this point. The trail is two miles long and gains nearly 1200 feet. The first mile traverses north across the eastern side of the mountain and includes various ups and downs without much elevation gain. The second mile doubles back to the south and steeply climbs the north ridge to access the rocky summit. The trail gets rockier as you go along.

Some wild and rugged bushwhacking with some tough scrambling and climbing at the top would probably be available to anyone who would be willing to try the climb from Aspen brook on the west side.

Red Tape

No permits or fees are required.

Camping

Though not available directly at the trailhead camping is abundant throughout RMNP.
See this site for more information

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
cwoods17

cwoods17 - Jul 5, 2006 1:05 am - Hasn't voted

Trail Head Caution

It's fairly obvious, but RMNP added some new trails around Lily Lake and one up and along Lily Ridge, which is actually south of the mountain and pictured here (http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=199554). The trailhead for the actual summit is just north of Lily Lake and the visitor's center there, so be careful where you start you hike.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Oct 23, 2013 9:20 am - Voted 8/10

Gone.

Trail has been destroyed from the floods in September.

Scott

Scott - Mar 9, 2018 6:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Gone.

The trail is back.

Elgin1963 - Jun 5, 2014 9:11 am - Hasn't voted

Rebuilding

Rocky Mountain Conservancy Conservation Corps was out there this week, working to rebuild the trail.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.