Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.59100°N / 108.432°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8035 ft / 2449 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Burro Peak is the highest point in the Big Burro Mountains. It is located in the Gila National Forest about 15 miles southwest of Silver City. Burro Peak is a virtually unknown mountain. With a modest elevation of 8,035’, it attracts almost no attention. The nearby Jacks Peak, which is 49’ lower but home to a radio tower array, has a road to its summit and thus is visited more often. However, the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) now runs directly over Burro Peak, so it appears the peak is starting to receive more visitors. Burro Peak does have one notable characteristic. With a prominence of 2,000’, it ranks dead last among the 1,208 contiguous US prominent peaks.

Getting There

From Silver City, drive south on State Highway 80 for about 12 miles. Turn right just past the Tyrone Open Pit Mine onto Forest Road 136. The road is marked by a small sign, but it’s easy to miss. This is also known as Tyrone Thompson Road. Drive a few miles up the road until you reach a small Gila National Forest sign on the left side of the road. This is also easy to miss. About a ½-mile past the sign, you will see an unmarked road off to the left. This is the start of the CDT trail to Burro Peak. Turn left into the parking area, which is marked by CDT trail sign, and also a 4249F road marker.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Gila National Forest, Silver City Ranger District for the latest conditions. Their number is 505-388-8201.

Topo Map: Burro Peak.
Forest Map: Gila National Forest.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds near Burro Peak.

External Links

New Mexico Prominence Map

Gila National Forest

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Oct 15, 2020 7:11 pm - Hasn't voted

up to date directions

From Silver City drive 12 miles south on Rt 90 until you get past the Tyrone Mine. A yellow highway sign will warn you that the Tyrone Road intersection is coming up on your right. The street has a typical street sign indicating it is Tyrone Thompson Road and also a sign indicating it is Grant 4-2 County. Turn right here and drive several miles past an RV park entry road on your left, until you get 7.8 miles in. At this point you should see a blue CDT sign on your left, although there will also be a broken CDT sign on the right (much harder to spot) and a trail marker on the right that says 4248Q. There is no parking area to speak of but there are several gaps in the brush you can park your car in. Follow the CDT to the left to start your hike. If you drive too far there will be a sign visible from the road indicating you are entering private land. If you see this you have gone too far and need to turn around.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.