Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.30145°N / 70.86688°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3914 ft / 1193 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Location of Mont GosfordMont Gosford is located in an isolated corner of Quebec.
Mont Gosford is the highest peak in the Eastern Townships of Quebec (Appalachians), though it is surrounded on three sides by the state of Maine. It is located in the ZEC Louise-Gosford, which is a managed hunting/recreation zone. It is similar to any moderate sized peak in Northern New England. You emerge from a spruce-fir subalpine forest at the summit and have spectacular views that stretch all the way to Mt. Washington.



Summit Tower on GosfordSummit Tower at 1193 meters

Getting There

East side trailhead - Mont GosfordTrailhead parking - east side of Mont Gosford
Summitting GosfordClimbing the summit tower.
Mont Gosford is approximately 2 hours drive east of Montreal or 2 hours south of Quebec City. The nearest significant town is Lac Megantic, Quebec.

Red Tape

There is a $5.00CAN per carload fee to enter the ZEC Louise-Gosford as of September 2006. Check in at the cabin/ranger station, called "Accueil Gosford" on the map, before proceeding through the gate into the ZEC.

The ZEC is closed to hikers during the hunting season from late September to mid November.

Camping

For $4.00CAN per tent you can camp anywhere in the ZEC (managed ecological zone).

For $5.00CAN per person you can stay in one of 6 established backcountry sites. There are two lean-tos and 4 sites with tent platforms in the ZEC.
Petit-Gosford Tent PlatformPetit-Gosford Tent Platform


Better yet, there are several refuges (cabins) in the ZEC. You can stay in one for $15CAN per person or rent the entire cabin for $80. The cabins have tiered sleeping platforms, a large table a woodstove, screened windows and doors and a fire ring outside. There is a more than ample supply of split firewood at each cabin, too. You still need to bring sleeping bag, cookstove, pots, etc. We stayed in the cabin called Refuge Clearwater on the east side of Gosford, and it made a great base for exploring the trails there.
Canadian GothicRefuge Clearwater

Inside of the Refuge ClearwaterInside of Refuge Clearwater

External Links

Sentiers Frontaliers (site is in French)
This group, Frontier Trails, is working to build a network of trails in the region of Quebec bordering New Hampshire and Maine.

ZECs in Quebec

Area Map

ZEC Louise-Gosford