Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.92850°N / 69.0743°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3026 ft / 922 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Squaws Bosom is a relatively unknown mountain comprised of three peaks just east of the more famous Doubletop Mountain within the Katahdin Group in Maine's great mountains. Similar to other peaks in the area this ridge of three peaks is forested to the summit of two out of the three peaks. The open summit is the highest of all at 3,010 feet which is not high when compared to the regions other peaks. One of the required tasks in reaching this summit and its ledges is a half mile bushwack which is not too difficult. The forest is pretty thick on the summit ridge which helps add to the remoteness of this hike. At the same time though, this bushwhack is no picnic. It requires a lot of patience and slow going. Doubletop Mountain just to the east is a fairly popular hike, but if you find anyone else on Squaws Bosom, you should be surprised.

Geologically speaking, the peak is made up of huge granite slabs that were sheared of by glacial processes at the end of the last ice age. This group of peaks resides as the northern terminus of the Appalachian Mountains and for those through hikers of the Appalachian Trail, these mountains provide a formidable ending to one of the greatest trails anywhere. This glacier scoured group of peaks is among the most rugged to be found anywhere in the Appalachians.

Getting There

From Boston:
Get on Interstate 95 North out of Boston and head through New Hampshire and into Maine. The exit you'll want for Baxter State Park is about fifty miles to the north of Bangor, Maine. You'll want to take the exit for Millinocket. Go to Millinocket and continue to Baxter State Park following via the well marked signs from town. Once in the park on the main road you'll need to go nearly twenty miles to the Tongue Pond Gatehouse where you'll have to have paid for your park pass. After this point continue and you'll want to park at Foster Field which is a couple miles farther.

Red Tape

There are a few rules and regulations issued by the Baxter State Park. First of all, there is a park permit required if you plan on staying overnight or just for the day which is $12.00.

Here are the other fees as set by the park. This comes from Baxter State Park's website at http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html.

Summer Season Fees
BUNKHOUSE $10.00 per person per night - Reservation is for individual bunk only. Facility is shared with other individuals or groups up to the capacity of the bunkhouse.
LEAN-TOS
[view photo] $9.00 per person per night, minimum $18.00 per lean-to per night
TENTING SPACE
[view photo] $9.00 per person per night, minimum $18.00 per tent site.At TROUT BROOK FARM and NESOWADNEHUNK CAMPGROUNDS there shall be a family rate of $18.00 per site per night
CABINS
[view photo] $25.00 per person per night, minimum $45.00 for a 2-person cabin, $60.00 for a 3-person cabin and $75.00 for a 4+person cabin. Children age 1-6 free, age 7-16: $15.00 per person, subject to minimum total cabin fee. Gaslights and firewood are included in cabin fee
GROUP AREAS $5.00 per person per night, 6 person minimum charge ($30.00). There is no per person charge for children under 7.

Winter Season Fees
BUNKHOUSE**
$18.00 per person per night, except at Chimney Pond bunkhouse is $37.00 per person per night.
LEAN-TOS OR TENT SITE $12.00 per person per night.
CABINS $30.00 per person per night.

For conservation purposes and general enjoyment of others, just follow the “LEAVE NO TRACE” program and you'll be fine.

When To Climb

This mountain is climbable at any time of the year, but winter may require some snowshoes and/or crampons. Winter in this region can be as fierce as any place on earth so make sure that you check the weather conditions before heading out. Below are the fee and camping permit requirments in the "Camping" section of the main page.

Spring and Summer are great times to enjoy this peak as you have the best chance at nice weather. You can still get winter conditions at any time of the year though, so always be prepared for bad weather.

Fall is also a great time as the fall foliage in this part of the country is bar none and the views on a clear and crisp fall day are as good as any place in the country.

Camping

Below is a list of Baxter State Park campgrounds from which you can choose to make your base of operations.

Baxter State Park Campgrounds:
Roaring Brook May 15th - Oct. 15th
Chimney Pond June 1st - Oct. 15th
Katahdin Stream May 15th - Oct. 15th
Abol May 15th - Oct. 15th
Daicey Pond May 15th - Oct. 15th
Nesowadnehunk *Variable opening/closing dates
Kidney Pond May - Friday of Memorial Day weekend- Oct. 15th
Trout Brook Farm -*Variable opening date - Oct. 15th
South Branch Pond May 15th - Oct. 15th
Russell Pond May 15 - Oct. 15th

The park has developed a new system for making reservations as listed below:

2006 begins the second trial year of the rolling reservation system for Baxter State Park. Reservations have completely "rolled" open for 2006. ( http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html )

1. To reserve a site for 2006, you can now mail reservations to Headquarters or walk-in to Headquarters four months prior to the date of your camping trip. Mail and walk-in customers will be processed at the same time. Mail will be randomly processed (not in the order it was received) except that all Maine resident reservation requests made by mail will be processed before non-resident requests on a daily basis. There is a limit of two (2) reservations per day for each person making walk-in or mail-in reservations. For mail reservations, send in reservation requests at least 10 working days prior to the trip.

3. Last minute reservations during the camping season (10-days or less before you would arrive at the Park). If you would like to camp in the Park in the next 10 days or less, we will accept your reservation by phone. Phone-in reservations are limited to one reservation per call and one call per person per day. Phone reservations must be paid by credit card at the time of the call. It is against Park regulations to use a cell phone inside the Park for a non-life threatening emergency. Please do not call for reservations from inside the Park. As we expect many reservations to be taken during the rolling reservation system, less choices will be available for the 10 days prior to your trip. During July, August and fall weekends, much of the Park may be full when you call, but you can always hope for a cancellation.

Mountain Conditions

For current and up-to-date weather conditions click on the link below!
weather.com

Annual mean temperature: 38.6°F
Record high temperatures: 95°F
Record low temperatures: -45°F
Average annual precipitation: 37"(includes ~ 100"/year snow)


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

royswkr - Apr 11, 2006 11:04 pm - Hasn't voted

different peak is highest

Note that according to the USGS the NW (or middle) peak is the highest one at 3026. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=5086625&e=493420&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25 This peak is roughly a mile from the trail through some thickish stuff, reports are that it may be easier from the brook crossing N of Doubletop than from the col to the SW. The state of Maine voted to rename many "Squaw" features as "Moose" to avoid offending Native Americans, but apparently this one was not included :-)

chilkoot

chilkoot - Aug 23, 2006 2:39 am - Voted 10/10

Moose Bosom

As royswkr metioned, many "Squaw" names have been changed to "moose." This peak has been listed as "Moose Bosom" on the newest maps. As my 7 year old said, "Does a moose have a bosom?" Also in the first line of your description, I believe you meant to say "west" of Doubletop rather than "east."

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.