Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.25056°N / 69.08278°W
Additional Information County: Knox
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1385 ft / 422 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located in the quintesential New England harbor town of Camden, ME. Mount Megunticook will provide unparalleled views of Penobscot Bay, Mount Battie, Lake Megunticook, Cadillac Mountain, Bald Mounatin, and Mount Battie.

Megunticook is the second highest coastal mountain along the Atlantic and is the tallest peak in Camden Hills State Park (one of the highest day use state park in Maine). While most of the mountain is covered with trees (including the summit) the magnificent views are provided by two rock-ledge look-outs, Maiden Cliff and Ocean Lookout. Both provide expansive views over two unique bodies of water. While standing on Maiden Cliff you will be able to take in cobalt-blue, meandering Lake Megunticook.

Lake Megunticook


From the Ocean Lookout you will get a panoramic view of Penobscot Bay,
Ocean Viewpoint

including Camden's picturesque harbor filled with windjammers and lobster boats.

Multiple trails, with over 30 miles of hiking available, connect Megunticook to smaller peaks within the park. To extend your hike you can walk the state park's road east from the trail head to the Altantic's rocky shoreline.



Getting There

There are multiple access points to Megunticook.

To climb the western side:

From Camden Center go west on ME 52 for approxmately 3 miles. A pullout will be on the right side of the road, just as Megunticook Lake becomes visible.

To climb the eastern side:

From Camden Center go north on US 1 approximately 1 mile. Camden Hills State Park is on the left hand side. Follow the paved road north through the park, the trail head is on the northwest side of the road.

Megunticook can also be accessed from multiple trails from nearby peaks, including Derry and Bald Rock Mountain.

Map of Camden Hills State Park

Red Tape

If Access is through Camden Hills State Park:

Park's Operation Dates - May 15 - October 15. A day use fee is charged at the park's entrance ($8), but is included in the overnight camping fee ($20).

To avoid the fees access the mountain from the west off Rte 52.

Camping

Camping is not allowed on the mountain. Camping is allowed in Camden Hills State Park for a fee ($20). There are approximately 100 sites that accomodate vehicles as well as tents. Services at the camp site include water spickets, showers, and restrooms (toilets/ sinks, etc). Fires are allowed in designated areas within the park.

Mountain Conditions

Camden Hills State Park Contact:
280 Belfast Road
Camden, ME 04843
Park season: (207) 236-3109
Off-season: (207) 236-0849

Camden Maine:

When to Climb

Megunticook can be climbed at any time without a need for special gear, other than what would be prudent for the season. For the best views visibility should be 20 miles. Early morning hikes may provide a low cloud deck as fog lifts off the ocean.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.