Slope Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.24133°N / 69.06735°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 and some 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Megunticook (1385) is one of the peaks located in the Camden Hills Area. There are several different routes to the summit of this mountain. The slope trail is one of these routes.

Getting There

trail junctions
megunticook summit sigh


From Rte. 1 in Lincolnville, turn right onto Rte. 173. This turn will be almost immediately across from the turn off for the ferry. Travel this road approximately 2 miles, bearing left at two forks in the road (first onto the Ducktrap Rd then onto the Youngtown Rd). Immediately after the 2nd left (Youngtown Rd), there will be an obvious trailhead on your left. There is a gate accross this trailhead as it is a multi-use trail that is available to hiking, bike riding, horses (yes, horses) and, snowmobiles. There is a really nice map at the beginning of this road that shows all of the trails in the Camden Hills park with mileage. To get to the beginning of the Slope Trail, follow this multi-use trail for approximately 2.2 miles until you get to a very nice ski shelter (see picture below). Across the road from this shelter is the beginning of the slope trail. It is just over 1.0 mi from the ski shelter to the summit of Megunticook. From this point, you can catch the Ridge Trail (bare left for Ocean Lookout on Megunticook or right for other trails to make some really great day-hike loops including heading over to Maiden's Cliff).

Route Description

This route is one of the many trails in the system of Camden Hills State Park. It is not accessed directly from a trailhead. Rather it is reached by hiking other trails to get to it. There are many. See reference below for free trail map download.
Ski Lodge
Water pump

The slope trail is so named because it slopes up continuously from the ski shelter to the summit of Megunticook. This ski shack can be utilized for overnights year round (there are great cross country ski trails in the area).

There aren't any real rock scrambles so to speak of (just a few minor ones near the top). It is more like an uphill walk through the woods and if you enjoy walks in the woods, with all of the vegatation, birds, etc, you will enjoy this trail. There aren't any real "views" so to speak of until you get to the very top and it is still pretty wooded here too.

This is a very nice hike and will give you some cardio due to its constant uphill climbing. Beginning at the ski shack, you will cross a cute little bridge and go past a water pump (UNtreated water access). The trail angles right, following the stream for a bit. From here, it is pretty much uphill. This trail goes through woods and can be quite narrow at times. It is easily followed, however, by the blue blazes on the trees and cairns nearer the top. You will know that you are getting close when you reach more ledgy areas. Careful, as these can be quite slippery when wet.

If hiking at a constant speed...and no stops...this can easily be done in about 40-45 minutes. If you have kids with you, however, plan on an hour or more as going up tends to wear those little legs out.

Essential Gear

Nothing more than you would need for any day hike: snacks, water, good light to medium hiking boots, appropriate cloths for the weather, emergency supplies (band aids, stuff like this)

Water resistent clothing if it has been raining as the trail is narrow in places and walking through the undergrowth can get you pretty wet.

External Links

Camden Hills State Park at Visit Maine.com

Maine Department of Conservation, Camden Hills State Park


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.