Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.49707°N / 73.93207°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1450 ft / 442 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Lambs Hill

Fishkill Ridge














Lambs Hill is in the center of the Fishkill Ridge Conservation Area. It settles between Mt Beacon and Bald Hill. It can be accessed by 3 differant routes and can be combined with hikes to Bald Hill and the "beacons" if one has more time.
Blueberries


For the most part the trails are well marked and easy to follow. Its a pleasant walk through mixed woods, with streams. Once it climbs you'll find scrub oak and dwarf chestnuts. And there are at the right season many lowbush blueberry. Taller trees are near the top where things are more sheltered.


The area is protected by Scenic Hudson Land Trust who has protected 1900acres of the Fishkill Ridge.

Getting There/Trails

The BridgeNewburgh-Beacon Bridge from the Overlook Trail





Overlook Trail to Fishkill Ridge

From Exit 12 off I-84, take Old Glenham Road toward Beacon. At the TNT Pizzeria, just after the Glenham Post Office, turn left and cross a bridge and then rail tracks. Turn left onto Old Town Road, which runs alongside Fishkill Creek. Make a right onto Sunnyside Road, and follow it to the end, where a short dirt road leads up to the parking area.

Begin your hike at the Scenic Hudson kiosk. Almost immediately you will see the first red marker, or "blaze," on your right. The trail is well marked.
Welcome


The trail ascends, crosses a stream, and continues through a mixed forest, winding its way upward with short switchbacks and long, gentle traverses. Gradually you work your way southward and up, sometimes through the woods, but mostly along open rock ledge, affording increasingly panoramic views to the northwest and west. Newburgh-Beacon Bridge and the Catskills beyond are the constant scene from the overlooks.

The Overlook Trail ends where it intersects the white-blazed Fishkill Ridge Trail. Continue left along the Fishkill Ridge Trail (white blazes)to the summit of Lamb's Hill and the Fishkill Ridge loop beyond.



Wilkinson Trail to Fishkill Ridge
Is it views to the east that you crave? Hike the Ridge from the Fishkill side.

The Wilkinson Trail begins near the Old Albany Post Road (also known as Uhl Road), a couple of miles south of the intersection of I-84 and Route 9. Park on the roadside near the bridge, and walk toward the mountain until you see the sign for the Historic old Albany Post Road on the left. Then walk along the road on the right just past the sign. At the end of this road go through the gate; you will see the first single yellow blaze (paint on a tree) as you start up the hill.

About 10 or 15 minutes of easy walking will bring you to a pond, with a view to the west of the mountains beyond. Bypassing the pond, the trail ascends to the base of Hell's Hollow. This gully is notable for its steep and rocky slope, its hemlock forest, and its cool air.

From this point the trail rises steeply by long switchbacks, eventually joining the white-blazed Fishkill Ridge Trail. At a slow-moderate pace, allow about an hour to reach this juncture, about 1 mile from the start of the hike.

When you come to a fork in the road, turn right onto the Fishkill Ridge Trail to explore the northern end of Fishkill Ridge and eventually Lambs Hill. Turning right follow along the ridge northest to where the trail turns sharply east and then Southwest to the summit of Bald Hill (1500 ft). Continue on this trail southwest. Eventually the trail turns again back noth to Lambs Hill summit.

Fishkill Ridge Trail

This trail is the shortest. From Rt 9D in Beacon turn onto Howland Ave then right on East Main St. then right again on Pocket Ave. The white marked trail climbs east along the banks of Dry Brook until it turns north and meets the junction with the overlook trail. Continue on the white trail to the east to Lambs Hill's summit.


Red Tape

Dogs allowed on leash. No camping allowed and the area is open dawn to dusk.

Endangered Timber Rattlesnakes are found here so use caution and do not mess with them if you see them!