Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12254°N / 114.65374°W
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10777 ft / 3285 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

D.O. Lee Peak

WCP-7 (White Cloud Peak #7) is an accessible and interesting scramble from the beautiful Ocalkens Lakes basin in the northern part of the White Cloud Range.  The peak's rugged east face looms large above the lakes and the standard route ascends the right skyline if viewed from below. One of the great aspects of this area is the connecting ridge lines.  WCP-7 can be combined with WCP-8, or WCP-6  fairly easily.  A great traverse of the peaks that sit above the Ocalkens Lakes Basin would be WCP-7, WCP-8, DO Lee, WCP-9, and Calkens Peak.  This is possible without losing too much elevation, but would still require bypassing many vertical towers and would most likely be an all day affair.

WCP-7 Summit Block

The rock on WCP-7 varies from rotten to solid with one particularly solid rib of rock found on the lower north ridge. Ideally you want to find all the solid sections going up and then slide or "ski" the small loose section going down.  The pea sized to fist sized rock is very fast descending, but slow ascending.  The football sized rock is most often the dangerous and loose sections both up and down.  The desk sized or larger rock is usually more stable and easier going up, but slow going for rock hopping down.  This sized rock usually doesn't move, but on the occasion when it does, it can be a downright spooky and dangerous experience.  There's one particular section near 10,400 on the north ridge where all the rock is very unstable.  

WCP-7 Northeast Ridge

Just below the summit block on the northeast ridge, the scrambling changes from mostly Class 2 to Class 3.  Staying on the top of the ridge line avoids most of the loose stuff, but has more exposure.  Dropping below to avoid the exposure, takes one into the loose and steep realm.  The summit is broad and  comfortable and has terrific views of the surrounding peaks. Before July of 2007 there was no summit register.  The slopes to the south lead the way to WCP-8 and appear to be Class 2-3.

Routes

WCP-5 from WCP-7 scramble

North Ridge (Class 3)- follow the Slate Creek Trail to Ocalkens Lake and continue on the trail up to the Iron Basin / Ocalkens Pass. Drop down slightly to a tiny basin and leave the trail just west of this tiny basin.  Follow a solid ridgeline initially, then traverse right (west) slightly to another less solid but prominent ridge. Follow this ridge, staying close to the edge to avoid the looseness of the open slopes. You'll emerge just northeast of the summit block. From here scramble across a Class 3 ridge with some exposure to the true summit.

From the Slate Creek Trailhead: 5.1miles and 4002 feet gain (one way)

Northwest Slopes (Class 2-3)- from the Iron Basin / OCalkens Pass, continue on the trail west into Iron Basin.  Near the 9400 foot contour leave the trail and ascend the open and loose slopes. This route makes a better descent route.

From the Slate Creek Trailhead: 5.5 miles and 4206 feet gain (one way)

South Ridge (Class 2-3)- access this prominent ridgeline from WCP-8 or any area in the Bighorn Basin.

Mileage and elevation gain varies according to the exact route, but it would be at least 6.5 miles and 4000 feet from the Slate Creek Trailhead.

Getting There

Calkens from Pass

From the Slate Creek Trailhead, follow the trail past the Slate Creek Hot Springs and the old mining area. The trail becomes an old road for a stretch, crosses Hoodoo Creek and then becomes a trail again as it traverses and parallels Slate Creek on the west side. At about 3.4 miles Ocalkens Lake is reached and in another 0.85 miles, the pass between WCP-6 and WCP-7 is reached.

Road Approach

Follow ID-93 East from Stanley for 22 miles and turn off onto Slate Creek Road just after the road crosses over the Salmon River.  Follow the Slate Creek Road to the parking area at 7.7 passing a few turn offs and ranches. The road is passable most of the year by sedans and low clearance vehicles.

Check the road conditions at:  Idaho Transportation Department

Conditions and Season

Calkens from Pass

Conditions may vary greatly.  Access is typically from May to November. 

The White Clouds are adjacent to one of the coldest region in the lower 48 during the winter (Stanley Basin), and WCP-7 is situated in the northern section of the range, so expect lingering snow, early Fall snow, or any other weather condition. Still, the relative openness of most of the terrain above 9500 feet makes for an intense and strong sun.

 

 

 

 

Nearby Stanley, Idaho Climate Data:
Jan Feb  Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Average Max. Temperature (F)  27.0 33.7  42.5 50.3 59.9 68.4 78.7  78.4 68.6 56.6 38.1  26.0 52.4
Average Min. Temperature (F) -0.5  0.3 9.7 20.3 28.3  33.9  36.0 34.0  27.2  20.6 12.0  -0.8 18.4
Average Total Precipitation (in.) 1.64 1.33 1.02 1.02 1.17 1.16 0.59  0.59 0.78 0.92  1.46   1.55  13.24
Average Total SnowFall (in.) 16.9 13.2  10.2 3.4 0.9  0.2  0.0  0.0 0.4  1.7  10.4  14.6  71.9
Average Snow Depth (in.)  18  20 15 0  0 0 0  2  8  6

WCP-5

 

Links

WCP-9 and DO Lee

Latest Avalanche Report (Sawtooth Area)

National Weather Service Current Forecast for Stanley

Sawtooth Web Cam 

SNOTEL-gives latest snow depth readings

Sawtooth National Recreation Area

Chinese Wall

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Aug 2, 2009 10:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Access

As of July 2009 the Slate Creek road is in good shape and easily passable by passenger cars. Be aware that the trail up Slate Creek to Ocalkens Lake has been deliberately blocked and / or obscured at its junction with the trail to Hoodoo Lake. Someone has dropped a bunch of small to medium sized trees across it. At first, we thought that is was an indication that the trail was rerouted or something and went too far up the road. We found the trail by dropping down from the Hoodoo Lake trail toward Slate Creek. We suspect that this may have been done to keep motor bikes out?? Or....?

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

White CloudsMountains & Rocks