Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.49934°N / 122.00832°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1850 ft / 564 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Special Note: This page is specific to Poo Poo Point and does not include East Tiger, South Tiger or West Tiger.

Poo Poo Point is a very famous handgliders point as well as a highly popular hiking point in Tiger Mountain State Park . It got it's name from the sound of nearby railroad noises. Though not a true summit (which is why I had to give this a lot of thought before posting it) this famous point is extremely popular in the Seattle area. The view from the summit is one of the best in Tiger Mountain State Park. On a decent day you can see Mount Baker to the north; Seattle, Bellevue and the Olympics to the northwest; Squak and Cougar to the west; and Enumclaw, Tacoma and the southern Cascade foothills to the southwest. Often in good weather this viewpoint is packed with dayhikers. It is also very popular evening hike because it offer a good vantage point to the great northwest sunsets.

Poo Poo Point



Although there are a number of way to reach Poo Poo Point, the most famous one is by Issaquah High School. This 7.5 mile 1650 feet elevation gain is a nice dumpster dive for those training for large mountains. It can also be hiked up to by the handglider loading zone. This way is much shorter 4 miles roundtrip but steeper. There are no scrambles and in almost all years no extra equipment (ie snowshoes or crampons) are needed to attain Poo Poo Point, even in winter. It also is a great place to take kids to view handgliders (or to handglide yourself!!!!!)

Rainier
Bellevue
Handgliders
Sunset

Getting There

VIA THE ISSAQUAH HIGH SCHOOL: Take the Front Street exit toward downtown Issaquah (south). Head south on Front Street for roughly a mile and enter downtown Issaquah. Make a left on West Sunset Way. Three blocks later make a right on 2 ave SE. Issoquah High School will be on your left.

VIA THE HANDGLIDER LOADING AREA: : Take the Front Street exit toward downtown Issaquah (south). Head south on Front Street roughly five miles or until you are in the gap between Poo Poo Point and Squak Mountain. The loading area will be on your left.

 

Red Tape

New for July 2011: Discovery Pass is now required for this and all Washington State Parks. Here is the link to the site Discovery Pass .

 

Camping

Camping is prohibited.

 

External Links

Here are a number of other links on the internet that are likely to give you more information on this particular mountain.

The best webpage to get information on both current events in the region as well hiking activities is the Issaquah Alps Trail Club . This trail club has a number of events in this region from setting up hiking events to educating the public on regional environmental issues.

Tiger Mountain State Park

Weather Conditions

This weather is likely what to expect for mountain trailhead conditions.


alt="Click for Bellevue, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Issaquah AlpsMountains & Rocks