Cerro Mogoton - Nicaragua

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 13.75768°N / 86.39233°W
Additional Information County: Ocotal
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Canyoneering
Additional Information Elevation: 6913 ft / 2107 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mogoton is the highest point in Nicaragua, on the border with Honduras. Nueva Segovia state, Ocotal providence. Has long been enjoying the bad reputation of "forbidden mountain".

Mogoton was mined by sandinistas in the 80s, since then anyone who wanted to climb it. A lot of histories about animals and many people getting several injuries and killed by the old mines.

A famous quote saids: "Si te atreveis, no volveríes" (If you have the guts to go, you will never return". Many people said me that quote while I was looking the way to climb it.

No-one know the position of these mines, rain and some huracanes in the past removed from their original location, and transported with rivers and avalanches. Some people was killed many miles far away from the mountain.

At the final part is no trail. Is totally cover with vegetation just like the summit. A concrete mark is over the summit with the legend "Mogoton - mojon 59"

Christian Rodriguez - climbin Cerro MogotonLeft- Christian Rodriguez, in the land mined area. Right- on the summit of Cerro Mogoton

Getting There

A) I used the trail from a tiny village named El Corral. Between San Fernando and Depilto. Walk straingt on the 10 km dirty road. At the end road is Frinca Las Brisas**

B) At this days I know about another trail 32 km from Ocotal, easier and short to Finca Las Brisas**

**FINCA LAS BRISAS: a little trailhead get closer to a river.. Here start the adventure. A GUIDE IS HIGHLY RECOMENDED TO USED. MINES IS EVERYWHERE. I heared many detonations that day. Army coming to desmines... so the work's army will takes many many years more. and is possible to hear many detonation between monday to friday. Summit is marked with "MOJON 59"

Cerro Mogoton - NicaraguaJumping and climbing rocks is only safe way to avoid mines

Red Tape

The only way safe is paying a guide. aprox $80 - $100. Take care, many people saids to know the route but is false. they bring to you to the wrong mountains. Use a GPS or asking about to find MOJON 59 in the peak.
Cerro MogotonCerro Mogoton

UPDATE - Blong user contribution

My own site

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
BLong

BLong - Dec 30, 2008 11:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Addition!

Christian, Por favor hagame el favor de agregar este link a la pagina principal. El sitio esta en ingles y español y contiene bastante información y contactos para guias de Mogoton. Gracias Cuate. http://www.cerromogotonnicaragua.dorosevich.com/gpage.html

ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Jan 15, 2009 9:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Addition!

sorry by delay, I was updated right now... I am back in Guatemala after 2 months in many mountains in Europe, specially in Vasque Country (Spain).

Viewing: 1-2 of 2