Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.62590°N / 106.4452°W
Additional Information County: Torrance
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10057 ft / 3065 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 10057 is a ranked highpoint along the Manzano Mountain ridgecrest. It sits just south of Gallo Peak and about three miles north of Manzano Peak; the only higher point in the Manzano Mountains. The eastern portion of the summit is tree covered but a few limestone cliffs on the western side allow for great views of the western plains, Mt Taylor, and the Magdelena Mountains.
Point 10057 from GalloPoint 10057 from the summit of Gallo Peak

New Mexico Rank: 213
Prominence: 397'
Quadrangle: Capilla Peak

Rank and Prominence information from
Lists of John

Getting There

From Albuquerque, head east on I-40 and take the exit 175 (Tijeras). Stay right on the off-ramp splits but go straight through the light onto Highway 337. Follow this road for about 35 miles until it hits a "T" with NM 55. Turn right at this intersection and continue to the town of Manzano. Just past the center of town take a right towards Red Canyon Campground and Manzano State Park on FR253. There are plenty of signs in this area that will point the way. Stay on the paved road for a few miles and take a hard right at the Red Canyon Campground sign. Eventually the road will turn to a well maintained dirt road. Continue on this road until it forks. Take the right fork for hiker parking and the Red Canyon Trailhead. The left fork will lead you to the Red Canyon Campground.

Route Overviews

Point 10057 TopoPoint 10057 routes

Point 10057 is best reached from the Crest Trail that runs along the ridgecrest of the Manzano Mountains. While there are multiple way to get to the Crest Trail the Red Canyon Trail provides the shortest access for Point 10057. Due to its proximity to Gallo Peak these two summits can easily be combined for a nice tour of the central Manzano Mountains.

Red Canyon: This trail follows the beautiful Red Canyon Trail to the Crest Trail. The Red Canyon Trail has a few small yet impressive cliffs, a nice stream, and numerous small waterfalls. The trail is shaded the entire way and offers some great chances for encountering wildlife. From the trailhead to the Crest you will climb about 1600 feet in just under 2.5 miles but once on the Crest Trail the hike is much easier with a few ups and downs.



Views from the summit:
Sandia and Manzano MountainsLooking N
Western RidgeLooking W

Red Tape

Portions of FR253 as well as the trails and campsites in this area may be closed during late fall and winter months. Contact the Mountainair Ranger District for details.

NOTE: With the Trigo Fire many trails and areas in the Manzano Mountains have been closed. Again, contact the ranger to get the latest information.

Camping

Camping is available at the Red Canyon Campground near the trailhead. Campsites are $7 per night.

External Links

Local weather: Albuquerque
Local Search and Resuce Team: Cibola SAR
Cibola National Forest - Mountainair Ranger District

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Manzano MountainsMountains & Rocks