Red Canyon Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.62590°N / 106.4452°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Facts

Distance - 3.2 miles (one-way)
Trailhead Elevation - 8000'
Summit Elevation - 10057'
Gain - 2140'

Approach

See the "Getting There" section on the Point 10057 main page.

Route Description

Red Canyon FormationsRock formations in lower Red Canyon

From the day use parking area hike up the road or on the trail paralleling the road for about a quarter mile until you reach the large information board for the Red Canyon Trail. The Spruce Spring trail begins just north of the Red Canyon trail but there are plenty of signs to keep you on the right track. Once you pass the information board the trail is well defined and easy to follow. Since it stays in the canyon there are no side trails out of the canyon. This is a beautiful hike with many trees, a nice stream with some waterfalls, and some impressive rock formations. After 2.4 miles the canyon trail will level out in a grassy field where it intersects the Crest Trail. The most strenuous part is done. Head south (left) on the crest trail for 0.7 miles. At this point a GPS might be helpful but not necessary. Leave the trail and hike uphill for 0.1 miles through the sparse trees and brush to reach the highest point along the crest. Views to the north, south, and west are wonderful. Due to the trees on the summit views to the east are not possible.
Just below the CrestViews from just below the Crest Trail intersection

Essential Gear

Typical gear for a short hike. A GPS would be helpful for the final section of route finding.

External Links

Local weather: Tajique
Cibola National Forest - Mountainair Ranger District
Local Search and Resuce Team: Cibola SAR

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.