Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.56007°N / 73.55484°W
Additional Information County: Washington
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2347 ft / 715 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sleeping Beauty has spectacular views of Lake George and the surrounding valleys. Its summit is rocky and open with a sizable cliff dropping off to the west. Looking west one can see Gore Mtn and West Mtn can be seen to the southwest. Looking towards the North one can make out some of the most southern High Peaks.

Total distance from Hogtown Trailhead to the summit of Sleeping Beauty is 3.4 miles (This is includes 1.6 miles walk from Hogtown Trailhead to Dacy Clearing) This hike can be completed in three to four hours round trip.

Follow YELLOW Trail Markers from Dacy Clearing to the trail intersection of Fishbrook Pond and Sleeping Beauty... At 2.2 miles from Hogtown Trailhead the Trail splits. Going left leads to Fishbrook Pond via Bumps Pond (RED Trail Markers) Going right will lead to the Sleeping Beauty Summit (BLUE Trail Markers), and eventually if you continue on, to Bumps
Pond.

Trail Junction



The total Elevation gain = 1038 Feet.


From Dacy Clearing you could walk to a loop that includes a hike to the summit of Sleeping Beauty from the South and instead of returning the way you hiked up continuing North to Bumps Pond and returning using the Fishbrook Pond Trail. Total Loop Distance = 7.8 miles (This is STARTING at Dacy Clearing)

Getting There

Take Rt-149 East towards Fort Anne. After the intersection of Rt-149 and Rt-9L continue on Rt-149 for 1.6 miles and take a left onto Buttermilk Falls Rd. At around 3 miles Buttermilk Falls becomes Sly Pond Rd and the road turns to unpaved.
At 8.7 miles the name changes again to Shelving Rock Rd at the intersection of Hogtown Rd. Continue straight and a short distance ahead will be parking for the Hogtown Trailhead. It is possible to drive an additonal 1.5 miles to Dacy Clearing where the actual foot trail to Sleeping Beauty begins. This access road to Dacy Clearing is basically a 4WD road that should be driven by a vehicle with good ground clearance. The 1.5 miles can be easily walked.

Red Tape

The road to Dacy Clearing is closed in the winter. There is plenty of parking in the Hogtown parking area, but in the event its full parking on the road is fine.

Camping

Camping is allowed with a few rules that would be attached to camping anywhere within the Adirondack Park.

Camping within 150 feet of roads, trails, and bodies of water is prohibited.

Use existing fire pits or fire places if provided.

Use only fallen or dead wood for fires. The cutting down of standing trees is prohibited.

Do not use soap products within 150 feet of water.

Carry in what you carry out.

Store food properly to keep away from animals. Especially BEARS!

There is a lean-to available at Fishbrook Pond but it is first come first serve.

What's in a name?

I have been trying to find how this particular mountain managed to get its name and have had no luck. This was until I spotted a mountain the other week while driving home from Rutland, Vermont. I was just outside of Fort Ann and was looking at the mountains that border Lake George to the east. While trying to determine which peak was which, I saw something that may give some insight into the name Sleeping Beauty. On the horizon was the shape of a mountain that looked like a women lying down, as if she were sleeping. It struck me that this could very possibly be where the name originated. There has been nothing that I've read to confirm this so do not take it as fact, but it's what I surmise. If you can confirm this please let me know!

When to Climb

Sleeping Beauty can be climbed at any time of year. The summer will bring larger crowds to its rocky summit, and in the winter the trails are used by snowmobiles. Winter is also a great time for snowshoeing and X-Country Skiing.

I would recommend snowshoes for a winter climb and stabalizers could be of use for ice and and compacted snow on the trail. Crampons would certainly be overkill, but hey, i still plan on bringing them when i climb in the winter! Maybe get some good practice in, if can find any good snow or ice!

Note: Regular Hunting Season begins on the next to last saturday of October and runs thru the first sunday of December.

Weather

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=REC&node=KALY

This is a link to NOAAs weather for the southern ADK along with Lake George. I feel NOAA gives the best report for hiking/climbing. They will forecast what type of conditions you may find above certain elevations. For Sleeping Beauty, Buck, and Black mountains, they give a forecast for above 2500 feet.

NOAA is especially useful for the High Peaks, as it will give weather information for the higher summits, so anything above 4000 feet. We all know the weather can be quite different at elevation than it can be down low!

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
saabrian

saabrian - Aug 2, 2010 2:07 am - Voted 7/10

Elevation

According to the ADK guide book, the summit is actually 2347 ft, not the 2162 ft listed in this entry.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.