Bryant Peak (Snoqualmie Pass)

Bryant Peak (Snoqualmie Pass)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.44615°N / 121.45926°W
Additional Information County: King
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5801 ft / 1768 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Climbing the summit block
Final Scramble to the summit with Kaleetan Peak in the background
Bryant Peak is one of the minor peaklets along the Denny Mountain-Chair Peak ridge adjacent to Snoqualmie Pass. It occupies a middle position just south-southeast of Chair Peak and north of The Tooth. While it has a very modest elevation, the scramble itself is a interesting mixture of off-trail travel topped off with an exposed climb up an airy summit block. At the top, unparalleled views of Chair Peak and Kaleetan Peak await, along with views in the other direction of The Tooth and Denny Mountain.

Bryant Peak is a fun, if not so challenging scramble. It is a very enjoyable trip that offers a surprising alpine flavor on a relatively low summit.

Getting There

 
Keekwulee Falls
Keekwulee Falls on Denny Creek
 
Approaching summit block of Bryant
Climbing ridge to summit block of Bryant
 
Downclimbing from the summit
Downclimbing from Summit
 
Downclimbing from the summit
Downclimbing from Summit
Drive I-90 East from Seattle and get off at Exit 47, driving to the Denny Creek Trailhead. Hike roughly 4 miles to Hemlock Pass on the Denny Creek Trail. At Hemlock pass turn right at a bearing of 33 degrees. You will know you are on route by the fact that you should be on top of a narrow spine. Come to a plateau in the ridge. In early season, skirt cliff bands to the right, up a stream bed to a wide basin. Climb to the left ridge of the basin and follow to the summit rock block. If later in the season when the snow is melted, this route is impractical due to brush. Instead, after arriving at the plateau in the ridge, skirt cliff bands mainly to the left and ascend straight up the ridge to the summit block.

Once at the summit block, your route will depend on snow cover. If there is plenty of snow, there is an easy access to the summit in the middle of the summit block up easy (Class 3, no exposure) rocks and stunted trees. If there is no snow cover, this route may not be reachable, and the only way to the summit is around the left (north) side on easy but exposed rock. Take care whichever route is taken. THE ROCK IS VERY LOOSE HERE!


Total time to summit: 3.5 hours. Difficulty: Mainly Class 2, Class 3 at the top, route finding, exposure depending on route chosen: Roundtrip Distance: 11 miles


Red Tape

This trip lies within the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. Wilderness permits are located at the trailhead on a self-service basis. A Northwest Trail Park Pass ($30/year) is required to park at the Denny Creek Trailhead.

Camping

 
Denny Creek
Idyllic Denny Creek
 
Interesting snow patterns
Cool patterns in the snow below Hemlock Pass
Camping opportunities are very limited on this trip, as there are no practical campsites along the Denny Creek trail or off-trail once you head up from Hemlock Pass. The closest camping opportunity would be at Melakwa Lake 1/2 mile beyond Hemlock Pass.

External Links

The closest year-round Forest Service ranger station is in North Bend, about 14 miles from Snoqualmie Pass. Contact information:

North Bend Office
42404 SE N. Bend Way
North Bend, WA 98045
(425) 888-1421

Snow conditions are available from the Summit at Snoqualmie Ski Areas (of which Alpental is one) at the following website:

Summit at Snoqualmie Snow Conditions

Also, webcams are available from the Washington State Department of Transportation at:

Snoqualmie Pass Web Cam

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.