Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.92260°N / 71.5778°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2734 ft / 833 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Mt. Dickey from Mt....


This page was an update from an old page I wrote a number of years ago when I first joined SummitPost. The original page has been updated to focus on Welch Mountain. Dickey Mountain located just north of Campton and east of Waterville Valley is famous with many locals in the region. The peak itself has gret views south of neighboring Welch Mountain as well as Sandwich Mountain and north to Mount Tecumseh. It actually connects to Mount Tecumseh via a ridge and is one of the southern high points along the ridge.

Rock ledge on southside of Mt...


Mount Dickey is often done as a YDS Class 2 hike/scramble combo with Welch Mountain via the Welch Dickey Trail. This trail rises near a number of exposed slabs and contains a couple short somewhat scrambly areas. Though these areas are not very dramatic compared to western style peaks or even Huntington Ravine or the Holt Trail, caution does need to be used in wet or icy conditions. This mountain is a great mountain to hike from spring through fall. The best time to climb this peak to avoid the crowds is usually on a weekday in fall when there is a nice chill in the air, the leaves have changed and few people are out hiking. Some like to hike this mountain in early spring just before black fly season take full effect and while the snow is still melting off the higher peaks.

Another view from the summit...


If you climb this mountain in winter you must have the right gear. Crampons are nessesary due the large amount of ice on the steep rock slabs and drop offs. Hiking is not advised without crampons in winter. While the slabs are easy to hike in summer they can become dangerously icy in winter and without proper gear can result in injury.

That being said the trail does get used as a running trail by some locals.

Out of the two on the double peak route, Mount Dickey is the less dramatic and partially wooded summit while Welch is mostly free of trees. This hike make a good early season hike (April and May when other mountains in the White Mountains are still snowcovered.

Getting There

WELCH AND DICKEY TRAILHEAD (1060'):

From I-93, get off on Exit 28 East towards Campton and Waterville Valley. Stay on Route 49 past NH 175 and keep going about five miles through mostly wilderness until you reach Mad River Road on your left. Take a left at this road and stay on the road up and over the hill for about 0.7 miles (2 minutes) until you see a small sign on the right of the road pointing the way to the trail. Stay on the road until then take a small fork in the road to the right to the the parking area(fee).

Red Tape

WMNF Mandatory Parking Pass

Camping

Mt. Welch and Dickey is only a 4.5 mile hike, so there is little need to camp while hiking this mountain. However there is camping nearby on Tripoli Road as well as by the Livermore Road Ranger Station in Waterville Valley. If planning on camp on this mountain, be sure to check out the Backcountry Camping Rules of the White Mountains.

External Links

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions in the White Mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Also if in the area, check out the Waterville Valley Chamber of Commerce for the latest conditions just off of Exit 28 East in Campton.

Weather Conditions