Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.46570°N / 118.16298°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 11278 ft / 3438 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Blanco Mtn. from the northwest.
Blanco Mtn. from the northwest
Blanco Mountain is in the middle of the southern portion of the White Mountains. This is the massive Great Basin range that rises across Owens Valley from the Sierra Nevada and includes 14,246' White Mountain Peak, Californias 3rd highest mountain. Blanco was named by Mexican prospectors for its' white rock. This prominent little peak is loosely forested with bristlecone pines. It can easily be hiked in half a day combined with County Line Hill (11,229') 1.3 miles to the northwest. The views up and down range include almost everything from White Mountain Peak south to the Inyo Mountains. The High Sierra looms large beyond the bristlecones 30 miles west.

Getting There

 
Blanco Mtn. and County Line Hill from the north
Blanco Mtn. and County Line Hill from the north on the Bristlecone Road. The Crooked Creek Road is leading off on the far left
From Big Pine go 13 miles east on Hwy. 168 to the Bristlecone Road which is about a mile before Westgard Pass. Go north on the Bristlecone Road 10 miles to the Schulman Grove where the road turns to well graded dirt. Continue another 9.2 miles on the Bristlecone Road to the Crooked Creek Road (forest service road 5S01, passable to all cars) Go right .3 mile to a drainage to start the hike. Blanco Mountain is visible 2 miles to the south via a dirt track trail that goes almost to the base of the peak. This hike is a 1,200' gain. The northwest slope is pretty much class 1.
You can also tag County Line Hill which is just a half mile off to the west above the trail.

Red Tape

 
Blanco Mtn. south view
South from Blanco Mtn.
The Bristlecone Road is closed in winter. There are no posted restrictions.

This is Inyo National Forest. There are no permits required for this hike.

Camping

 
The Palisades from Blanco Mtn.
Palisades from Blanco Mtn.
Grandview Campground, 8,500'. Go north on the Bristlecone Road 5.3 miles from the junction with Hwy. 168. Grandview is on the left.
There are numerous dirt road pullouts off the Bristlecone Road for car camping without facilities.

Weather forecast for the White Mountains

 
Blanco Mtn. and County Line Hill from Campito Mtn., 11,543
Blanco Mtn. and County Line Hill from Campito Mtn.
 
Bristlecone pine, County Line Hill, White Mountains
Old bristlecone on County Line Hill
For the current weather and 10 day forecast click here.