Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67500°N / 117.1325°W
Additional Information County: Humboldt
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8550 ft / 2606 m
Sign the Climber's Log
North Mountain (NV)

Overview

North Peak sits south of I-80 near the town of Battle Mountain and is very visible as you travel in either direction. For most folks, the name of the mountain you are looking at is generally not known to them. Travelers are more apt to be looking at what is available in Battle Mountain and most likely will be planning to stop at the golden arches to grab something to eat or to just take a break on their journey east or west.

North Peak has significance to prominence peakbaggers since it has 3340' of prominence and comes in as the 48th most prominent peak in the state of Nevada.
North Peak (NV)Battle Mtn from the summit



Getting There

Access for this peak is facilitated by how close it is to I-80 but once you leave the highway, having high clearance and 4WD is extremely helpful as you get close to the mountain itself.

Thanks to Dennis Poulin for posting these directions (which we used very successfully):

He "approached North Peak from I-80, battle Mtn, exit for NV 305. Zero your odometer and go south on NV 305. Pass the Copper Basin signed turnoff in 5.1 miles and in 6.0 miles turn right on an unsigned gravel road. At 7.7 go straight thru 4 way intersection, pass several campsites along the canyon, and at 11.1 take the left fork onto a rougher road. Go up several switchbacks and at 13.5 go over a pass at 7450 ft then continue down into the valley. At 15.7 reach an old corral and a grassy intersection, take the right fork. Go through a muddy area and then at 16.0 miles take the left fork. At 17.0 miles reach another saddle at 7350 ft. The road continues down into the next valley towards North Pk, but I took a right on a faint road up another .3 mile and then parked at 7450 ft."

Using the above directions helped us considerably and his mileages were pretty much in agreement with my vehicle's odometer but could vary a bit for others. The mileages are very much "in the ballpark". I would not utilize any of the backcountry roads if it was raining or had rained recently. Snow higher up could be a stopper as well.
North Peak (NV)Getting to the top

Maps

Maps are a real help in dealing with getting to some of these Nevada mountains. Hopefully, these will help by providing waypoints and an overall view.

North Peak Map oneMsp one
North Peak map twoMap two
North Peak map  threeMap three

Red Tape

None that I am aware of. I believe most of the land is owned by the BLM and you can get more information about the area and the roads from the BLM office in Battle Mountain.

BLM Battle Mountain District Office
50 Bastian Road | Battle Mountain NV 89820 | 775-635-4000
Office Hours: 7:30 am - 4:30 pm M-F

Camping

Battle Mountain has several motels available as well as an RV park. For hose preferring to car camp or camp out, we noted several camping spots on our way in and Dennis noted the same in his above report.

A free campground can be found at the Mill Creek Recreation Area. The turnoffto the campground is located 20 miles south of Battle Mountain, Nevada on State Route (SR) 305 and is signed. From the turn-off you will travel four miles on a maintained gravel road to the recreation site entrance.

Mill Creek Recreation Area

Battle Mountain, NV
Phone: 775-635-4000
Visit Mill Creek Recreation Area Web site
The lovely Mill Creek Recreation Area, located just 20 miles south of Battle Mountain, is far more than just a popular camping ground. In the 1930s, the historic Mill Creek was the site of a Civilian Conservation Corps work camp and stone pillar remnants are still visible today at the entrance to the campground.

More info:
At an elevation of 5,200 feet, the Mill Creek campground is shaded by tall cottonwood trees and offers 11 designated tent sites, fire rings, picnic tables and nearby restrooms. It is recommended that campers bring their own firewood. There are also three recreational vehicle sites available at Mill Creek Recreation Area, but the campground does not offer electric hook-ups, potable water or dump stations. The canyon setting of Mill Creek makes it a favorite spot of many for a variety of relaxed outdoor pursuits. In addition to camping, visitors to the recreation area can picnic, hike, watch for wildlife and fish for both brook and rainbow trout. Birdwatching in particular is a favored pastime at Mill Creek Recreation Area, as the region is home to a range of birds that include great horned owls, various hawk species, belted kingfishers, woodpeckers, wrens, swallows, sparrows, hummingbirds and more.

The no-fee site is open year round and makes for a truly enjoyable trip away.
Getting There:
24 mi. S of Battle Mountain via State Rt. 305

Weather

Find more about Weather in Winnemucca, NV
Click for weather forecast


Find more about Weather in Winnemucca, NV
Click for weather forecast

Hike/route information

Our route will be forthcoming, probably by this evening or tomorrow.

Summit stuff


North Peak (NV) BenchmarkThe benchmark
North Peak (NV) registerRegister
North Peak (NV) benchmarkBenchmark 2