Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 30, 2014
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

The Mt Adams trail has had extensive work, and the tower has been refurbished, making this an interesting and most enjoyable hike. On the road, just before the parking lot, is the old iron ore furnace of the McIntyre Iron Company, with informational signs and a short trail, an interesting stop before or after the hike. Leaving from the Allen Mt trail head  the route soon crosses a new suspension bridge over the Hudson, no rock hopping necessary. We brought extra "water shoes", as we were not sure if the bridge had been replaced, but they were not necessary. The plank causeway across Lake Jimmy is out, remnants still visible at the shorelines, but there is a new well demarcated land re-route to the left around the lake. The Mount Adams trail turns left, away from the Allen trail, just after the old caretaker cabin buildings, and is marked with a small sign. Take a look inside the cabin to see how the caretaker lived. There is an on going project to restore the two buildings at this site. The trail through the woods remains fairly flat initially, then climbing starts to be moderate to steep. Soon the most challenging section is reached where a few large steep slabs require careful negotiation. There are plenty of handholds along the sides: we chose the right side and had no problems. After this section the trail is moderately steep and quite rocky, but has flatter sections as well. Close to the top the trail flattens out and the tower looms in an otherwise viewless, tree ringed summit. One has to give credit to the trail workers and those who refurbished the tower. Previous posts mentioned a difficult to follow path with extensive blowdown, and a closed, decaying fire tower. The trail is now clearly marked, and the fire tower stable and open. There is a map in the cabin of the tower delineating the surrounding peaks, and what a breathtaking view! There is even a lovely bench at the foot of the tower for resting.  Be sure you go on a clear day to get the full effect of the incredible tower view.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount AdamsTrip Reports